Field Hockey Three-peat!

Kate Gaynor, Staff Writer

Another year, another winning year for Freehold Township Girls Field Hockey as their season comes to a close with an outstanding record of 17-4-1. Despite having graduated seven seniors from last year, Field Hockey continued to impress in terms of their skills and determination. All of that hard work in preseason undoubtedly paid off, for the girls faced many challenging opponents this season and came out victorious. The team faced two of its losses in its first five games of the season, one of them in a game against Middletown North. Just three weeks later, Township dominated Middletown North in a rematch, winning by a score of 3-1.

A similar situation played out between Township and crosstown rival Freehold Borough. The first time these two teams saw each other this year, each made it clear that they were not going down without a hard fight and the game ended with a 1-1 tie. As expected, Township and Borough competed again later on in the season. One of Township’s four losses was to Freehold Borough in the second matchup between these two rivals. However, the girls’ spirits were in no way dampened and they were confident and aggressive in their third and final game against Borough, which took place just a few days later than the second one. This time, Township came out on top, a well deserved win for a hardworking team.

After losing to Rumson Fair Haven in the semifinals of the Shore Conference Tournament, it was time for the most anticipated games of Field Hockey’s season: state sectionals. The girls have won the Central Jersey Group IV State Championship for the past two years under the coaching of FTHS gym teacher Kara Gardner. Last year, the state sectional final was an intense game between Township and Jackson Memorial that went into overtime with Township coming out victorious. Ironically, our girls would go on to play the same team for the same title this year.

Evidently, the road to the state sectional finals was an especially challenging one. On Monday October 31st, Township Field Hockey played Lenape in the sectional quarter finals. Lenape scored first, and by the last few minutes of the second half, some might say that that Township was in danger of losing this game. However, if you know about Field Hockey and many other Township sports, you know that our teams are some of the most determined ones in the Shore. With only six minutes left in the game, junior Kali Williams scored for Township to tie up the game. No other goals were made in the next few minutes, meaning the game went into overtime. The first ten minutes of overtime included opportunities from both teams, but neither was able to put up a goal. Therefore, the game was set to continue for another ten minutes. With under two minutes remaining in double overtime, Township sophomore Julia Eriksen put the ball in the cage to send Township to the semifinals.

The semifinals game proved to be just as stressful as the quarterfinals. Rancocas Valley came to Township to determine which team would advance to the state sectional finals. Rancocas Valley had the first goal of the game, but our girls did not quit. Unfazed, Township quickly responded with a goal of their own to tie the game 1-1. Then, just four minutes into the second half, Township displayed their willpower by adding another point to the score, making it 2-1. This score remained for the rest of the second half as Township’s defense skillfully held off the hungry Rancocas Valley girls.

This win allowed Township to advance to the CJ IV state finals. Jackson was undoubtedly looking to avenge their loss from last year, and the first half of this game was an aggressive one. Although both teams had many corners and shots on goal, neither was able to capitalize and the half ended scoreless. The second half began with each team attempting to shut the other out and get the ball to the opposing goal. Then, with 17 minutes left in the game, a play occurred that would change the momentum and outcome of the whole game. Township’s offense was maneuvering the ball in Jackson’s circle, desperately attempting to push the ball past the goalie. Then, amidst the scuffle, the Jackson goalie covered the ball with her body. In field hockey, a goalie is not permitted to use her body to protect the ball; a save must be made by kicking the ball out or hitting it with the stick. Due to the foul, Township was granted a chance at a stroke, which is a penalty shot. Junior Kali Williams was chosen to take the stroke.

The rest of the Township girls stood a distance behind her, arms around each other, cheering on their teammate; they knew that this moment could make the game. Everyone held their breaths as Kali effortlessly pushed the ball up into the top corner of the goal, too fast and accurate for the Jackson goalie to block. The Township fans erupted into celebrations, Township continued to dominate the second half and repress Jackson, and the state finals ended with a score of 1-0! Congratulations to Township Girls Field Hockey for an immensely successful season and their “three-peat!” Watch out for the girls in 2017 as they attempt to win their FOURTH Central Jersey Group IV State Championship in a row!