Marching Band: Update

The Marching Patriots are entering their busy season and ready to put on a show

Joanna+Devella%2C+Stephanie+DeLellis%2C+Emily+Zbyszynski%2C+and+Heather+Sanchez+show+off+their+marching+band+apparel.++

Joanna Devella, Stephanie DeLellis, Emily Zbyszynski, and Heather Sanchez show off their marching band apparel.

Emily Zbyszynski, Music Reporter

Just as the excitement of the new school year wanes and the majority of the student body begins to settle into the daily grind, there is one group of kids whose season is just about to begin.

The Freehold Township Marching Patriots are more than half-time entertainment; each year, the band takes a week out of their summer to dedicate hours of time to the memorization of music and “drill” (each member’s location on the field).  Finally, the massive organization’s hard work is paying off.  The Marching Patriots have performed five shows for eager sports fans at the Friday night football games, but the band’s proudest moments are yet to come.

October is often a marching band’s most exciting– and stressful– month.  This coming week is set to be the busiest few days of marching season.  The festivities kick off this Saturday at two o’clock with the away game against Marlboro.  After the game, the band boards the busses and goes to Monroe Township for the first competition of the season.

The next day, it’s off to Hamilton for Steinert’s “Music in Motion Competition,” hosted by the Steinert Marching Unit Parents Association.  This is a day where marching bands of all sizes and intensities come to display their field shows before hundreds of their peers.

The Marching Patriots take a break on Monday the 20th before performing at the FRHSD Music Festival, hosted by Howell on Tuesday.  There are no trophies to be won here; the festival is a non-competitive event where all the district’s bands can admire each other’s talent and artistry.

It’s a tough– and rewarding– schedule, but the Freehold Township marching band is up to the challenge.