No More Midterms?

Despite the fact that nobody really enjoys taking tests, maybe eliminating midterm exams isn’t such a great idea.

Danny Dutton

Sophomores (from left) Serge Jean-Charles, Jonathan Fassi, and Brian Keane diligently take an exam in Mr. DiGiuseppe’s English class.

Leah Emmerich, Staff Writer

Year after year, students stress and worry about midterms. They’re up all night studying up all night studying for hours, knowing that if they mess up the test, its game over. They’ll be grounded for the next couple of weeks and spend that time at home praying they’re GPA didn’t plummet. The test is placed in front of them and the feeling of wanting to vomit is all too real.

So, the Board of Education takes away midterms. That must mean less stress on the students, right? Wrong.

With midterms, two TCAs (through course assessments) made up 40% of the final midterm grade and the actual test was 60%. Having those three different assessments in place can do much more help than harm. There is more room for error, and even though that isn’t completely calming, it takes away a bit of stress. Eliminating midterms would just add on to the stress that students already feel.

It is not an unusual that an individual does poorly under pressure compared to how they would do if they took the time they needed. This does not exclude the students of Freehold Township High School. If much more rigorous tests are given to the students, a lot more pressure will be placed upon them. The duo of more difficult testing and added pressure is not a good combination.

Nicole Madonna, a sophomore at FTHS, expressed her thoughts on the matter. “Of course TCAs will stress people out more than last year. It stresses me out just thinking about it! There is way too much pressure on us to do well. If people did badly last year, what makes anybody think that this system will help them do any better?”

She then goes on to say, “I did really well on my midterms last year, because I [kinda] knew that if I messed up a little, it was no big deal. I’m honestly scared for this years’ tests.”

Madonna believes that she speaks for all her peers when she admits that she is afraid of this year’s testing situation.

The stress of juggling school, a social life, and extra-curricular activities is enough for a high school student. “Down time” is mostly taken up by studying and homework, so why add on to it? Although midterms seemed like a burden while they were around, that’s not the case for many students now.

Some people may try to argue and say that students should be grateful that they are not required to take midterm assessments anymore. Those individuals may view it as “one less test you have to take,” but its way more pressure than it may seem. It’s safe to say that most students would choose a longer test than short rigorous ones. It’s strange to think that taking away a stressful aspect of your life could add even more stress.

So, as odd as it may sound, midterms, come back– we miss you.

Sophomores Jonathan Fassi, Brian Keane, and Serge Jean-Charles diligently take an exam in Mr. DiGiuseppe's English class.
Danny Dutton