Junior FFA Hunger Banquet Coming Up This Month

Karen Reyes, FFA Correspondent

When: Wednesday, February 24th from 6-8 PM

Where: FTHS Cafeteria

This year the junior class in the Animal and Botanical Sciences Academy/FFA Program decided to host a Hunger Banquet as their community service project. A significant percentage of this world lives with the constant anxiety of when their next meal will be. These statistics, however, rarely genuinely impact individuals unless they visually see the devastating issue. The purpose of the banquet is to make the community more aware of what food insecurity, a reality lived by many families worldwide, really means. With this banquet, the junior class hopes to promote change and action through awareness. Over the past couple of months the juniors have been working diligently to make sure the banquet comes out a success. They hope to see you attend!

Tickets cost $3 with a non-perishable food or just $5. You can buy your ticket at the door or in advance through a junior FFA member. All proceeds from the event will go to the following charities or organizations:

• Farmers Against Hunger: Their mission is to preserve and enhance agriculture, farming, and related activities and business in New Jersey through educational, informational and promotional programs. Farmers take part in an active role in gleanings, outreach, truck repairs, fundraising and various others areas of Farmers Against Hunger.
  • Oxfam: This organization gives great, lasting opportunities for families and communities that live in poverty. Money donated goes to specific causes such as training families to sustainably grow food, starting a women-led savings group, starting a community garden, supporting disaster survivors, preventing disease, and so much more. By helping communities with lasting solutions, families are finally able to see their futures away from poverty.
  • Students Helping Honduras: This organization uses donations to build schools in Honduras. It is part of their mission to use education as way for families to rise above poverty.
  • Charity Water: Many people take their running water supplies for granted, but many live without the easy access of this basic human need. 100% of donated money sponsors clean water projects for those communities in need.
  • Heifer International: With the money donated, Heifer International uses it to donate animals that produce either wool, milk, eggs etc. to families in need. An animal to them becomes a small business; the income the animal provides is used to increase their access to medicine, school, food and sustainable livelihoods.

At the event, you get to choose which organization you would like to donate your ticket money to.

If you plan on attending, please RSVP with the QR code: QR