NHS Welcomes New Members

NHS Welcomes New Members

Leah Emmerich, Editor-in-Chief

On January 27th, new members of the National Honors Society were inducted through a very professional, but moving ceremony. Juniors and Seniors alike celebrated their acceptance into this prestigious group surrounded by their families, school faculty, and peers. 

Before being able to celebrate success, these students first had to prove them selves by presenting to the NHS Board what they had to offer to the William R Satz chapter. They had to prove that they had high scholastic standing, a good character, leadership qualities, and devoted their time to selfless service. This came with a lot of responsibility and honesty, which many students displayed. 

Nhs3Once accepted, students were inducted honorably. President of FTHS’s NHS, Jonny Kandell had a few words to say about this special night. “This new group of inductees were nothing but respectful during the whole process. Mr. Monafis, our guest speaker, did an amazing job and entertained everyone. I’m glad everything came together, and I’m excited to see what this new group of kids has to offer the community and the organization.” 

The most anticipated part of this event, the candle lighting ceremony, was a huge success. Not a single person tripped, and nothing was lit on fire, which was a huge plus for everybody. During this part of the ceremony is when every new member is recognized individually, which is incredibly special for the inductees and their families. “Truly a memorable experience, it was great to know I was being honored for all my hard work, says Junior Meghan Ambrosia on being inducted. 

Another truly memorable aspect of the induction was the speech made by Mr. Monafis. Mr. Monafis encouraged students to dig deep within themselves to find even greater success, and to never let your failures stop you from working hard to finally achieve your goals. Keeping his speech lighthearted and inspirational, FTHS’s educator of the year conveyed to students just what you can become if you work hard enough for it. 

The ceremony wrapped up with cake and coffee in the cafeteria and nothing but smiles. The newest members of NHS posed for photo ops with their friends and families, just hoping that there would be an Instagram worthy photo so they could finally put #nhs as their caption. NHS1

NHS welcomes these new members with open arms and is looking forward to all the further strides they will make in academic and social achievement.