Cross Country Update

Lindsey Golotko, Editor

There’s a saying that goes, “A dream doesn’t become reality through magic; it takes sweat, determination and hard work.” These three characteristics perfectly describe Freehold Township’s cross-country team. Every day after school, these dedicated athletes are seen running endless miles. These past couple of weeks, the cross-country team headed out to meets that showcased their hard work and talent.

On Saturday, September 12th, the team went to Cherokee High School for the Cherokee Challenge, a two-mile course filled with hills, grass, and gravel. Most cross country meets are 3.1 miles and go off by level, but here the athletes run with only people in their grade. The top thirty runners in each race received a medal; Alex Simon placed 13th for freshman and Rose Barrett placed 8th for seniors. Simon says, “I thought it was a really good experience for my first high school race ever.” The girls truly proved themselves at their season opener.

Later that week, the team raced at the Battle of Ocean County Park. The freshmen again raced two miles, while sophomores, juniors and seniors raced 3.1 miles.  The course is much more flat and speedy compared to their previous meet at Cherokee.  There were over thirty teams competing for medals and trophies, but the FTHS cross country team truly shined through. For the freshman race, Alex Simon and Sebrina Gao placed in the top thirty receiving medals. The sophomores put on quite a show receiving third as a team and all placing top thirty. Ashley Sibilia, followed by Morgan Hodges, Kasey Finnigan, Riley Finnigan, and Nicole Hoegler led the sophomore team. Hodges beams, “I thought it was a pleasure to go back and race where I got my first varsity time last year. It was a true experience.” Last but not least, Rose Barrett again placed for the seniors.

This year, the cross-country team’s main goal is to make it all the way to the group’s championship. Last year, the team made it and thrived, this year they hope to do the same. This challenge, however, will be difficult and filled with sweat, determination, and hard work.

For updates on how the team is doing and when their next race is, follow @FTHSrun!