How to Spend a Summer

Rose Barrett backpacking through North Carolina this summer.

Lindsey Golotko, Editor

Summer break.

These two words are like joyful music to a stressed student’s ears. The summer of 2015 although short, was filled with many different memories for students here at Freehold Township High School.

Many students worked over the summer. A plethora of people worked at summer camps, ice cream shops, businesses, or even the beach. While the summer is meant for relaxation,

Daphne Lombardi enjoyed visiting New York City this July.

enjoyment, and anything but work, a job supplies students with more responsibility and the incentive to earn a paycheck. (Personally, this summer I worked at a summer camp and it was by far the most rewarding experience. I was able to impact a handful of young children and ensured their summer was full of memorable moments.) Numerous students agree that a job is just one way to spend a summer vacation.
​On the other hand, many daring students’ summers were full of amazing adventures. Rose Barrett, a senior here at FTHS, went not only rock climbing, but also backpacking. In an experience unlike any other, Barrett disregarded any prior rules she knew about the outdoors and enjoyed the new world around her. In addition, sophomore twins Kasey and Riley Finnigan ventured out to North Carolina and enjoyed a vacation of their lifetime. New foods, friends, and culture were all supplied while outside of their hometown. Belinda Hecht, a junior, spent her days going to concerts. Each musical performance was like a new adventure and held a new surprise. These bold students and countless others all agree this summer was one of the best.
​Some students spent their break not too far from home. Great Adventure and Hurricane Harbor are hot spots here in Freehold. Daily, many teenagers flock to the amusement and water park for thrills and a way to have fun.

A lot of students just spend their break relaxing. Ciara Roche, a senior, claims to have spent her break eating mountains of ice cream. Freshmen Alex Simon and Sebrina Gao, both

Ciara Roche enjoyed a concert by the Fray this summer.

spent summer running many miles in the heat for their upcoming cross country season.

​Summer, no matter how one spends it, is one of the best times of the year. It is a time where one doesn’t have to stress about tests, projects, and school. As fall begins, summer slowly drifts away, and students now must focus on the nine and a half months ahead. Summer may be gone, but the memories will last a lifetime.