The Best Beach Spots of the Summer

Belmar Beach looks so inviting

Belmar Beach looks so inviting

Leah Emmerich, Editor-in-Chief

It’s no secret at all that during the summer many high school students spend a lot of their free time on the beach.  It’s the perfect place to unwind, catch a few rays, and have the biggest slice of pizza you could ever imagine. You can also use the time to bang out your summer reading, but we all know that’s a day-before-school type of thing.
Whether you’re basking in the sun or getting knocked over by the ocean waves, the Jersey Shore is an awesome place to spend your numbered summer days. Some places near the shore are exceptionally cooler than others though.
The number one go-to spot on the Jersey Shore for high school students is 16th Avenue in Belmar. Belmar is already a pretty quality beach, but 16th Avenue is where you want to be. The shops and restaurants (and Dunkin Donuts… can’t forget Dunkin) are just across the street from where you can lounge in the sand and work on your summer tan. You are bound to see several people you know, since it is the most popular beach spot amongst high school students. It is certain that every Freehold Township student has had an Instagram feed hogged by peers’ pictures taken on 16th Avenue. Someone who isn’t very social would not particularly like this spot. However, the Jersey Shore is huge and there are plenty more beaches to visit.

Pier Village is a very nice, family-friendly beach to hit during summer vacation. It has an eclectic variety of shops and restaurants to keep anybody occupied for an entire day of fun. Brunch at Turning Point is essential when in Pier Village. When at Turning Point, the best thing to order is the seven cheese omelet with bacon and onions. The beach itself is very clean and never overly crowded, making it a perfect spot to chillax. The aromatic smell of restaurants cooking throughout the day adds to the already relaxing and cool atmosphere. In addition, the smooth sand at Pier Village is less painful to walk on then the rocky sand found at Belmar. For relaxing and peaceful day, Pier Village is the place you want to be.

For a more fast paced, junk-food-eating kind of day, Point Pleasant is an excellent beach to spend a summer day on. With the boardwalk available to anyone and everyone, and the beach directly in front of it, there is no way anyone could ever be bored. You can enjoy some freshly fried Oreos while sprinting away from the seagulls because THEY ARE YOUR FRIED OREOS, or play a couple of Boardwalk games to win a little prize. It is not uncommon for people to stay on the beach all day and then stay for the rides and such at night. Point Pleasant is known for its boardwalk and night life, making it the perfect place to hang out with your friends when the sun goes down. But, contrary to popular belief, point pleasant can be just as pleasant during the day as it is at night.

With its small, hometown vibe, Manasquan  is a quiet more reserved beach. There are not as many wild teenagers running around it, which is a plus for the typical antisocial person. The shore is lined by very home-y beach houses, giving the area a certain kind of ‘Murcia spirit. Bringing your parents here to get they’re mind off of work and the stress of taking care of a rowdy teenager is recommended. Bringing a group of friends is recommended as well, because then you are some of the few loud teenagers, giving you the freedom to pretend to be sophisticated for a day and see how long all of you can go without being obnoxious. That seems like a challenge, right?

Whether it’s non stop fun all day or just working on your tan before school starts up again, the Jersey Shore has more than enough to offer. And even though the summer has come to a close, one more beach day on the weekend in early September doesn’t sound so bad.