The Charlie Charlie Challenge: Is It Real?

Hailey Ruderman, Staff Writer

If you are currently not living under a rock and actually socialize with people, then you probably know that there is a new craze taking over the internet: “The Charlie Charlie Challenge.”

This challenge was created in multiple Spanish-speaking countries and it is supposed to “summon demons.” The way that you could set up this so-called “challenge” is to get a piece of paper, make a chart with four sections and write the words “yes” and “no” alternatively. Then, you place two number 2 pencils on top of each other in a cross formation and chant the words “Charlie Charlie are you here?” If “Charlie” hears you, then the top pencil will move to one of the four spaces on your sheet of paper. This technique is almost like a DIY Ouija board.

Some people are extremely skeptical of this idea, and it is probably because they are not a huge fan of horror-filled scenarios. Other people have tried this idea, and it has “worked”;  “Charlie” has moved the pencils (or it could be someone blowing on them to move).

Sophomore Nick Saginor says, “The Charlie Charlie Challenge is a waste of time. I don’t recommend trying it [sic].” Nick has tried this challenge (as shown in the video provided), multiple times and has failed every time.  [wpdevart_youtube]sByMd1xYmVo[/wpdevart_youtube]

Another sophomore, Avery Cohen, has tried it and has succeed. He also had something a little sarcastic to add to this topic: “I was in fear for my life, you know. They don’t teach you this stuff in grade school.”

Many people believe in this “Charlie,” but the truth is that gravity sometimes makes the top pencil move as you are asking Charlie a question, which makes it seem like this actually works. Overall, the Charlie Charlie Challenge is just another one of those trends on social media that gets everyone excited and intrigued but will most likely be forgotten sooner rather than later.