Polls

Best before-school coffee spot?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

The Game Awards 2023 – Complete Review

From Game of the Year to New Reveals, this is the Game Awards 2023!

It’s that time of year again where game journalist Geoff Keighley steps up to the throne of video games. Geoff has been hosting events such as Summer Games Fest and Gamescom. Every December since 2014, he has presented a major award show, making it the 9th year of this award show. It’s The Game Awards where Developers, Creators, and even fans join together in this massive award show. Everybody predicts what game will be game of the year. Will it be Spider-Man 2 or Tears Of the Kingdom? Who will win the best Independent game? Best VR game? Best Multiplayer, Fighter, Sport, Family game, RPG, or even Adaptation? You will find out as we see what Games reign Supreme. Plus, we will also see some surprises from developers revealing some very Interesting reveals.

Awards: The Winners of Each Category are as followed:

Game of The Year: Baldur’s Gate 3

Best Game Direction: Alan Wake 2

Players Voice: Baldur’s Gate 3

Best Narrative: Alan Wake 2

Best Art Direction: Alan Wake 2

Best Score/Music: Final Fantasy 16

Best Audio Design: Hi-Fi Rush

Best Performance/Voice Acting: Neil Newborn (Baldur’s Gate 3)

Innovation in accessibility: Forza Motorsport 

Games For Impact: TchiaBest Ongoing Game: Cyberpunk 2077

Best Community Support: Baldur’s Gate 3

Best Independent Game: Sea of Stars

Best Debut Indie Game: Cocoon 

Best Mobile Game: Honkai Star Rail

Best VR/AR: Resident Evil Village: VR Mode 

Best Action Game: Armored Core 6:Fires of Rubicon 

Best Action/Adventure: Legend of Zelda:Tears of the Kingdom 

Best RPG: Baldur’s Gate 3

Best Fighting: Street Fighter 6

Best Family: Super Mario Bros Wonder 

Best Sim/Strategy: Pikman 4

Best Sports/Racing: Forza Motorsport

Best Multiplayer: Baldur’s Gate 3 

Best Adaptation (Movie/series): The Last of Us

Most Anticipated game: Final Fantasy 7:Rebirth

Content creator of the Year: Ironmouse

Best Esports Game: Valorant

Best Esports Athlete: Faker

Best Esports Team: JD Gaming

Best Esports Coach: Potter 

Best Esports Event: 2023 League of Legends World Championships 

Congratulations to all Developers, Members of Studios, Esport teams, and Nominees alike for winning and for being voted as Nominees! Now, we are going to take a look at the announcements/reveals at the event. 

Reveals/Announcements: The following will be an in depth look at most of the most excitements announcements,reveals,trailers and bonuses at the

Event

Honorable Mentions:
Kenmuri

The Finals: Release Date Trailer 

Rise of the Ronin: Release Date 

Final Fantasy 7: Rebirth (Footage/Orchestra)

God Of War: Ragnarok – Valhalla Free DLC

Sega’s New Energy: New Era
Famous Multinational Video Game studio and publisher Sega is entering a New Era. While Sega has rebooted Super Monkey Ball, Alex Kidd, Streets of Rage, Samba De Amigo, and House of the Dead, Sega is going all in for rebooting forgotten IPS in for a new era. Sega announced not 1, not 2, not even 3, but 5 world premiers. These include a side scrolling hand drawn styled Shinobi, a 3D Streets of Rage and Golden Axe, and a rebooted Jet Set Radio and Crazy Taxi. While we do not have a release date, and the footage could be beta or even cinematics, they have fully gotten the greenlight and are in development. Sega is also working on a massive 800 million dollar “Super Game” proposed for 2026 and plans with other IP including possible major Reboots and Remakes. With Sega/Sonic Team wanting to surpass Mario and other gaming studios, Sega’s future is very exciting, especially with these upcoming reboots and revived franchises. All in all, this shows that Sega does what other companies don’t.

OD (Overdose):Kojima Productions upcoming game 

A legend in gaming is without a doubt former Konami developer Hideo Kojima. Creator of Metal Gear Solid, Snatcher, Policenauts, and Death Stranding. Last year, he gave us a new look at Death Stranding 2. While there was no information about that project, he did give us a new look at OD. It will be a “Cross between game and movie” and will “explore the concept of testing your fear threshold” according to Kojima. Jordan Peele, director of movies Us, Get Out, and Nope will also be involved with this project. The trailer was mysterious, and did not give much info. It’s worth noting that at the end it did show the Xbox Game Studios logo, leading to it being a possible Xbox exclusive. We will have to see for this upcoming Overdose in gaming that will be full of fear.

Marvel’s Blade: Upcoming Arkane Labs and Bethesda Game 

Marvel Games are very exciting in the gaming industry. From the Insomniac Games to the  Square Enix & Crystal Dynamics collaborations, Marvel has been on fire. Now, another collaboration is hitting the gaming industry. You might have heard of gaming studio Arkane who is owned by Zenimax (owners of Bethesda. Zenimax is owned by Xbox). They have created games like Death Loop, Prey, and the negatively reviewed Red Fall. However, this time they are adapting the comic series Blade. All we had was a cinematic trailer, and we do not have an idea of what the gameplay will be like. Although the main character does have a sword, which could make this a possible action/adventure combat focused game similar to Spiderman, and the upcoming Wolverine. The game has no release date, but has a story about Blade in Paris in the middle of a “supernatural emergency”, according to Bethesda. Bethesda being an Xbox owned studio could make this an Xbox exclusive, meaning that Blade will be the first Xbox Series Marvel exclusive. We are very, very excited for Blade!

Monster Hunter Wilds: Capcom’s Upcoming 2025 Release

Capcom is one of the most iconic studios in the industry, creating Mega Man, Street Fighter, Resident Evil, and Devil May Cry. The studio has existed since 1979, and has been creating games since 1983. For Capcom’s 40th anniversary, they have revealed an upcoming release/sequel to one of their most iconic franchises. While Capcom did not announce anything about Resident Evil or Devil May Cry, they did announce an upcoming action RPG created by the studio. Monster Hunter is getting wild with a trailer that concluded The Game Awards. The trailer did not give us much information, outside of the release date of 2025. We do know this will be a shift in the series, and we could expect information in the near future with this being the first next generation Monster Hunter release. We can expect gorgeous graphics and an emiserve world to hunt monsters. 

Light No Fire

Hello Games is known for one game, No Man Sky’s. No Man’s Sky’s long road of DLC is an incredible story. Similar to Cyberpunk 2077, it started being panned by critics, but overtime was well liked and was easy to play and have fun. But after years and years of DLC, Hello Games is finally announcing an upcoming game. Instead of many exploration focused planets, the game is going to be one massive planet. Hello Games describes it as, “a first real open world” that could possibly be the size of the Earth! It will be incredibly detailed, vast, and beautiful. This will be the next ambitious project from Hello, with you being able to ride on many creatures, craft and build houses, and do so much more. There will be an online mode for people to play and discover worlds inside the giant planet. No release date was given, but you can expect more details in the far future. With the positive reception of later No Man Sky updates and content, plus the rise of online open worlds, this game could be a massive success. 

Jurassic Park: Survival

Many iconic franchises have been adapted to games including Disney, Marvel, and more. Jurassic Park games are nothing new. There have been iconic and sometimes pretty bad ways the franchise has been expanded. From Shows, Sequels, to many games produced. From the Arcade on-rails Shooter, To LEGO, Side scrollers, and FPS (First Person Shooters) the franchise has a lot to offer. However, during the 6th generation of consoles (Gamecube,PS2,Original Xbox) there was a canceled project for the series. It was originally going to be published by Konami and Vivendi Universal (Universal Game division) and created by Savage entertainment. However Vivendi was not impressed with the project and were having conflicts. Savage decided to cancel the project, and Vivendi ended all funding. Now, with the help of Saber Interactive and Universal returning to create a full action adventure experience and will be a next generation experience. Not for the 6th generation, but the 9th. As mentioned before there have been many franchises adapted into games, but lately they have been reviewed negatively like Lord of the Rings:Gollum, both recent Avatar games, and Skull Island:Rise of Kong. However, this could be a good success for the series. We will have to see when we travel back to Isla Nublar and get ready to survive.