October Horror Fest – Day 22

“You Just Can’t Keep a Good Guy Down!”

Greetings, and welcome back to October Horror Fest! Today, we once again venture back into the story of everyone’s favorite killer doll. Yesterday, I reviewed Chucky 1×1, and I think it’s time to finish the original 3 movies. Also, if you don’t see Horror Fest in the Showcase tab on the Press, don’t panic! There are many amazing articles coming out every day here, and I can’t take up all that space with this series! Just make sure to check Entertainment, and new articles will still be coming out every day! Without further ado, sit back, relax, turn off the lights, grab some Candy and Popcorn, and let’s review…

Child’s Play 3 

We start our tale in the abandoned factory from the end of Child’s Play 2. As workers clear dust ridden Good Guy pieces off assembly lines, we find Chucky. He is still melted and frozen to the place where he was killed. Once he is picked up with a crane, blood spurts out. Chucky is lifted up, and his blood falls into a plastic tub. His blood begins to mix with the plastic, and our title card begins. It shows Chucky being remade with some awesome music, and we end with Chucky screaming “NO!”

We cut to the Play Pal toys HQ, where we see executives talking about Andy. They say it happened 8 years ago, and the executives want to put the Good Guy back on the market. Mr. Sullivan, the CEO from Child’s Play 2, agrees, and puts the Good Guy back on the market. Mr. Sullivan is then personally gifted the first Good Guy off of the assembly line. Of course, Chucky. At Mr. Sullivan’s apartment, we see him relax, and have a good night in his penthouse full of toys. We pan back to Chucky’s box, and it has been opened. As Mr. Sullivan has a good night in, we see Chucky stalking him in the background. Chucky then causes marbles to fall, which trips the executive. Mr. Sullivan gets up in a daze, as all the toys in the penthouse activate in a terrifying scene. Chucky then jumps out, and wounds the exec. He throws darts into Mr. Sullivan as he tries to crawl away, but Chucky won’t let him. He strangles him to death, and is excited to get back into the swing of killing. After the death of Mr. Sullivan, Chucky searches for his friend till the end, Andy Barclay. He finds him on the computer, and we see that Andy is enrolled at Kent Military School.

We cut to our boy, Andy Barclay. He is 16 years old now, and is starting his time at Kent. Andy is played by a new actor, as Alex Vincent wasn’t grown up enough. The general of the school tells Andy to grow up, and forget the “fantasies” of killer dolls. We cut to a young boy named Tyler getting his hard cut by an eccentric barber at the school. Tyler is playing on his Sega Game Gear, as Andy steps up to the chair. He kisses his hair goodbye, and proceeds to get a military cut. As Andy is in the chair, an ad for Good Guys appears on the T.V. It is the same ad that was featured in the original film, and we see Andy’s PTSD watching it. Tyler is infatuated with the Good Guy, still being a young boy.

Andy settles into his bunk, as we meet his bunkmate, Whitehurst. Everyone at the camp goes by their last names, and Andy starts to go by Barclay. Whitehurst was trapped in the closet, saying that he was trapped there due to the actions of Shelton, who is a lieutenant. He is God around the school, and Whitehurst welcomes Barclay to hell. At roll call, Andy is immediately terrorized by Shelton. As he moves on from Andy to Whitehurst, Whitehurst begins to fight back using his words. As Shelton heats up, a girl next to him calls him an expletive. Her name is De Silva, and Shelton orders her to do 25. De Silva is even able to do the last two one handed, much to the astonishment of Andy, who begins to crush on her. We catch up with Tyler, as he is instructed to deliver a package to Andy. This package, as we could all guess, is Chucky. Tyler is bullied by bigger kids at the school, and the package drops. It rips, and Tyler sees the Good Guy Doll underneath. He is astonished, and takes it for himself. He heads to the Armory, and unpacks Chucky.

Chucky then rips out of the packaging, not caring about his cover. He shouts at Tyler, and asks where Andy is. Chucky then begins to realize something. Chucky is in a new body, and of course, by the rules of Child’s Play, he has to tell someone who he is to transfer his soul. He decides to go with Tyler instead, and tells him his little secret. We pick back up with our boy Andy at the shooting range, clearly not doing very well. He asks De Silva for tips, as she hits the bullseye every time. She then holds Andy, and helps him to fire. Of course, being older, and already having a huge crush on De Silva, is unable to concentrate, and misses once more. He thanks De Silva for helping them against Shelton, and she is all for taking him down at any chance she gets. Even though Andy missed his shot, De Silva taught him lessons on how to fire, something that will come in very handy for Andy.

We cut to Chucky, now playing Hide the Soul with Tyler. He begins to recite the Dumbella Chant, and attempts to transfer his soul. Before he is able to, senior officers walk in. They take Chucky away, and reprimand Tyler for playing with dolls. We cut back to Andy, as he struggles even more adjusting to military life. During drills, he looks to his left, and sees Chucky being carried away. This triggered his PTSD once again, in an amazing scene. Shelton reprimands Andy, and shoves his rifle into his chest, telling him that it is his best friend. Speaking of best friends, we see Chucky inside of a garbage truck, and in classic Chucky comedy, he begins to scream and curse about his predicament. The garbage truck driver gets out and into the back after hearing Chucky’s cries for help, and Chucky, sadistically, gets into the front. He turns on the crank, and the driver is crushed. He reaches out one more time for help, and his arm is broken and severed. The recruits hear the screams, and they all rush over. Andy’s PTSD triggers once more, as he knows what truly happened. When they reach the truck, they see blood pouring down on the outsides. 

Later that night, after Whitehurst leaves, Chucky makes his move on Andy. As Andy continues to unpack, in a bittersweet moment, he puts a framed photo of him and his mom on his desk. Chucky moves underneath Andy’s bed, and slices his ankle. Andy is absolutely terrified, and backs away. Andy begins to panic, and says that Chucky can’t kill him, as he needs to transfer his soul. Chucky tells him what is truly happening, and Andy says he won’t let him near that kid. Andy throws Shelton’s shoe at the doll, and, grown, begins to beat Chucky up. Shelton then walks in, and after making fun of Chucky, is mad at Andy about his shoe. He takes Chucky away, saying that he is going to give him as a present for his sister. Andy knows what he needs to do, and at night, he sneaks into Shelton’s room. Chucky surprises him, holding a knife, and it causes Andy to wake up Shelton. He immediately pins Andy against a wall, as the rest of the recruits come barging in. Chucky runs out of the room, and Shelton notices him missing. Shelton then brings everyone outside and tells them to walk in a circle and do drills until the thief who stole Chucky is found.

Inside, Chucky finds that Tyler wants to play hide and seek with him, and is actually hiding. Chucky, who Tyler still calls Charles, is very angry. With Andy, he runs away from the pack to try to get to Tyler. An officer stops him, and punches him in the gut. Andy, undeterred, punches him. It was a good punch, but he was taken back to the drills anyway. Tyler makes his way into the office of the general, and hides in his closet. In a very scary scene, we see Chucky’s knife wielding silhouette enter the room. Chucky then finds Tyler. Outside, Whitehurst wants to know what is really going on, and Andy tells him that the doll is alive, and is after Tyler. Whitehurst agrees that he should’ve forgotten it, and Andy prays Tyler can take care of himself. In the office, we see De Silva and one of her friends. De Silva, who is starting to develop feelings for our boy, tries to find his file. She does, and reads that he was in the foster system. Right before she can read the newspaper clipping on Chucky, she hears a sound. The pair find Tyler and Chucky in the closet, and they think Chucky is cute. De Silva then actually puts lipstick on him, and the two leave, hearing the general return. Chucky is angry out of his mind.

In the absolute funniest scene in the movie, and one of the funniest in the franchise, Chucky pops out with a knife to kill the general, and before he can, he has a heart attack. Chucky is absolutely flabbergasted, as the General dies in front of him. The next morning, the recruits are at breakfast, and say a eulogy for the General. Andy gets up from his table, after the eccentric barber goes around and pulls the kid’s hair. Andy then sees Tyler, and gets up to get to him. He is tripped, and the entire room laughs at him. De Silva and Whitehurst are the only ones who don’t. With Tyler, Andy says that he is evil, and not a laughing matter. In an amazing scene, we feel Andy’s desperation, as Tyler doesn’t pay attention to anything he says. Andy then drops his pocket knife off with the boy. We cut to Whitehurst getting his haircut, as he leaves. The barber then goes around his room, and finds Chucky in a cabinet. Feeling afraid at first, he then switches his demeanor, and goes to cut Chucky’s hair. Before he can, Chucky slits his throat, with blood gushing out. Chucky laughs maniacally, as Whitehurst re-enters. He sees the scene, and when Chucky says Boo, he runs.

Outside, we see the annual war games being prepared, with the red team, and the blue team. We find that both the rifles will be filled with paint, and if you get hit, you’re dead. Tyler is on the red team, as De Silva and Andy are on the blue team. Whitehurst then enters the blue team, shaken and panicking, but he says he is fine. While this is happening, in an absolutely satanic move, Chucky replaces all the paint from the red team’s rifles with live ammo. Whitehurst still refuses to tell Andy anything as he marches. At the blue team camp, De Silva tells a campfire horror story, as Andy gets up and walks away. De Silva follows. De Silva, in a moment of true feeling, tells Andy to call her Kristin, her first name. Andy gives her his, and the two walk. They see an amusement park at the bottom of the mountain, as the two kiss. Chucky is stalking them, as he says he really has to get out of his body. At the blue team base, we find that Andy stole a map of the red team’s base from Shelton’s camp, and uses it to go save Tyler. He asks Whitehurst to come with him, and Whitehurst says no. As the camp moves out, they find the map and Andy missing, and go to find him. Shelton thinks that he is a double agent for the reds. At the Red team base, we learn that Tyler went AWOL with a guy named “Charles”.

As the team marches to find Andy, De Silva is set out alone to go find Andy, after Whitehurst refuses to tell her anything. We find Tyler and Chucky in the forest, as they hide from Andy. Chucky wants to play “hide the soul” once again, as Tyler calls him Charles. Chucky snaps, and pulls a knife. Tyler realizes that Andy was right, and that Chucky is bad. Tyler stabs Chucky with Andy’s knife, as he runs to find Andy. Shelton finds Andy and holds him down, as Whitehurst once again refuses to back him up. The team radio De Silva, and before she can respond, she is attacked by Chucky. Tyler then re-unites with Andy, as Chucky gets on De Silva’s radio. He says to put Barclay on, as Shelton refuses. We hear De Silva, and we find that Chucky is holding her hostage. Chucky then calls the red team, and in an evil mastermind play, he calls both teams to his location. Blue shows up first, and begins pelting Chucky’s cover with blue paint.

Tyler and Andy venture forward, as we see Chucky holding a grenade. They get closer, and Tyler goes over to Chucky. De Silva runs to Andy, as red shows up. Shelton gets to Chucky, and sees him alive. He laughs, but before he can do anything else, he is shot in the heart by Red’s live ammo, instantly killing him. Chucky begins to maniacally laugh, as Tyler crawls away. Chucky notices, and is angry. Both teams begin to panic, as Andy is tackled. Chucky throws his grenade into the mosh pit, and Whitehurst, in his moment of heroism, jumps on the grenade. Dying, but saving his friends. Andy’s eyes fill with tears, but he has no time to mourn. He and De Silva run after Chucky and Tyler, as both teams panic even more about their fallen friends.

Tyler makes it to the amusement park, and gets in the security tent. The security guard, in order to make the boy happy, pulls out Chucky from the corner of the tent. We cut away, as De Silva and Andy run towards the security tent. Once inside, Tyler and Chucky are gone, as Andy sees the mutilated corpse of the security guard. De Silva takes his gun, and the pair head out. Chucky and Tyler enter a Haunted House themed ride, as Chucky holds a gun. Tyler and Chucky head inside, as Tyler escapes and travels further into the ride. In a very intense scene, he is hunted by Chucky. In a very smart move, he hugs one of the animatronics, and heads inside of its cage. De Silva, Andy, and Tyler all reunite, as Chucky lands a shot on De Silva’s leg. She begins to bleed, and Andy wraps the wound. She hands her gun to him, and after a moment of fear and hesitation, he knows what he has to do. He makes sure De Silva will be ok, and he grabs the gun. Tyler is further up in the ride, and is stuck in the mud. When Chucky finally has him, the massive scythe of the Grim Reaper animatronic comes slicing down, and in a horrific scene, slices off half of Chucky’s face.

Chucky now slowly walks towards Tyler, the inside of his face now showing. Chucky knocks Tyler out at the tip of a hill on the ride, as Andy, finally becoming the hero we knew he was, climbs up. There is a massive, massive fan underneath him, and he almost falls into it. As Chucky recites the chant once more, Andy uses his training from De Silva, and shoots Chucky’s arm off. Chucky continues the chant, until Andy hits an absolutely amazing chest shot. Andy gets up to Tyler, and the two hug. Before Andy can take him away, Tyler tackles Andy. Andy holds on as Tyler is about to fall into the fan, as he passes the knife up to Andy. Andy takes it, and slices Chucky’s hand off. He then throws the doll into the fan, as he is split apart into a million pieces. The camera pans up, and we see our heroes. De Silva is taken away in an ambulance, as Andy promises her that he will be ok, and that he’s been here before. Andy is then taken away in a cop car, as our film comes to a close…

That was Child’s Play 3! This was certainly a very decisive film in the community, but I’m glad I finally saw it, and I’m glad I was able to tell you the first three movies in the saga! I hope you all enjoyed it! Remember, you can never keep a Good Guy down…