Meet the 2022-23 Educational Services Professional of the Year – Mrs. Clyne

Emily Landolfi, Staff Writer

Mrs. Clyne, the invaluable FTHS Student Assistance Coordinator, has been honored as the 2023 Educational Services Professional of the Year! Mrs. Clyne’s work offering support and assistance to students provides an ever-present positive impact on our school’s community. She is a worthy recipient of this award and was gracious enough to allow the Patriot Press time to catch up with her. 

_________________________________________________________________________________ 

Hello! My name is Emily Landolfi and I am here with Mrs. Clyne, the support staff person of the year! Congratulations!

– Thank you!

How does it feel to be receiving this honor?

– It’s very humbling. I think because I’ve worked so closely with everyone who has received this honor prior to me, it’s even more humbling. I really just appreciate being recognized and hope that I’m doing a good job at making a difference in the lives of students.

That’s wonderful! So, for people who don’t know, what does your job entail?

– So, as the Student Assistance Coordinator, I pretty much work with any student who needs extra support outside of their guidance counselor. That support could be academic or social/emotional. I work with students who are either using substances themselves or maybe have a family member using substances. So I wear many hats. No matter what a student is struggling with, I can be that support person for them.

Nice! For me personally, that sounds super overwhelming. How do you manage that while also balancing your personal life and your own mental health?

– I think having a strong support here is helpful for me. The counseling staff is amazing and I can’t say enough amazing things about them. I think that we recognize when one of us is overwhelmed and we always lean on each other. At home, I’m married and I have three little kids. That’s a lot too, but, at the end of the day, they help with anything that was overwhelming here.

That’s so nice! What’s the most rewarding aspect of your job?

– I think just seeing a positive change for students. Seeing them in a bad place and having a rough day and then them coming out of it with my support and being able to be a part of that journey for them.

Yeah totally, that’s amazing! I know that a lot of students go through a lot, so it’s awesome to have that support system. What initially made you want to go into this profession? It’s not your typical “I’m going to be a teacher,” and is more advanced in terms of mental health and helping students.  

– Prior to my role as the Student Assistance Coordinator, I was actually a school psychologist here for many years. I found through that role things I loved about that, things I didn’t love, and my strengths and weaknesses, and it aligned more with being the Student Assistance Coordinator.

That’s so cool! How long have you been working at Township?

– This is my thirteenth year and my third year as SAC.

Wow! That’s great. So you were a psychologist here before?

– Yes!

What’s your favorite memory of working at Township? It can either be as a psychologist or what you are doing now.

– My favorite would have to be seeing a student that I worked with for four very long years at graduation. Seeing them through the precession and coming out of the precession to give me a hug was very humbling to me and I really appreciated it.

That must have been really emotional. It sounds like you had a very deep connection with them.

– For sure.

You’ve obviously spent so much time in this building, so how do you spend your days outside of the classroom?

– Last year I was lucky enough to help coach the Girl’s Varsity Softball Team, so that was a really amazing experience for me. Outside of that, I spend a lot of time with my family.

The next big break coming up is spring break. Are you ready for that? Are you just going to spend time with your family or do you have any pre-set plans like a trip?

– It actually falls on my daughter’s birthday, so she’ll be seven. I think we’re going to take her to the American Girl Doll store in the city for the first time. Just family stuff, but it’ll be an adventure for her and she’s looking forward to that day.

Cool! I was an American Girl Doll fan myself at seven years old so I’m sure she’ll love that. This is an interesting question: what is your first thought when you walk into the building and what is your last thought when you walk out of it at the end of a long day?

– I think my first thought is always that I’m ready for whatever the day is going to bring. I think in my role that’s really important because you don’t know what’s coming up. I think that my last thought is that I’m happy to be going home. Not that I don’t love it here, but my silver lining is always going home to my kids.

I totally get that. You love having time in the building but also relaxing with your family. Do you have any morning mantras or routines that you do to get yourself in the mindset of what you do in your position, because it doesn’t sound like an easy job? What do you do to get yourself ready for that?

–  I think just try to come in with a positive mindset. I usually try to talk to my co-workers in the morning just not about work and catch up with them for the day. That’s really it – just try to go into the day with a positive attitude.

That’s great! Do you have any words of advice for anyone looking to be in this profession or who may not know that it exists? Do you have any tips and tricks that you’ve learned over the years?

– I think as emotionally draining as some days can be, it’s totally worth it in the end. I think if this is something that you’re passionate about, go for it.

Thank you so much! This has been a great interview and I really appreciate it!