Life’s Not Perfect. Get Over It.

John Van Horn, Staff Writer

We’ve all heard it before. “You’re not perfect, nobody is!” It is cliché, yes. However, it is true. Nobody is perfect. Fair enough. Yet what do we try to be? Perfect.

Allow me to explain. I’ve noticed that, speaking for my fellow generations of teens, we’ve had perfection instilled in us from a young age, both purposely and indirectly. We are bombarded with workout videos on social media, claiming they have the “methods” that will get you that “perfect” body you’ve always wanted. In school, we learn how to craft essays and solve equations that will get us as close to “perfect” scores as possible on exams without ever really questioning why we are learning such things and how crucial just being able to speak and work clearly is in the real world. We stress and cram hours and hours of studying into getting that 100 on a test because a 90 will make our grade go down. 

However, being perfect is simply unattainable. It can’t happen. School is the perfect example because it is a place filled with imperfections. A physics lesson comes more naturally to some than others. And that’s life. We will fail tests, yes, but what’s important is how we respond and learn from our mistakes. 

It is fine that you cannot do every single club, sport, activity, what have you. The stress that surrounds college applications does not need to be so overwhelming. Colleges recognize and understand that we are, at the end of the day, kids. Kids who make stupid mistakes, each and every day. However, what colleges are looking for is to give an opportunity to someone who is willing to make the most of it. Students who will strive to be the best version of themselves, messing up, learning, and improving along the way.

So, to my peers, I wish you the best of luck with this upcoming school year. If I could offer you one piece of advice, it would be to not stress about the small things, and focus on what truly matters. (But, do not take this as an excuse not to do your homework). However, don’t stress about attaining perfection. I have for too long, and I have grown to realize that like life, school will require you to get your hands dirty. Be willing to put in the work, even if it is difficult.

“The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read.” – Mark Twain