Tori’s Tips – 12/11

Tori Simons, Staff Writer

Tips on How to Mentally Take a Break from School

As we all know, school is not a walk in the park. It can be very challenging and stressful, especially when you have multiple assignments and various tests due around the same time. In this case, some students may feel overwhelmed and mentally drained. I hate to break it to you, but this is just how school is and it may even get harder.

I could give you various tips on how to stay ahead of all the work you have to do in life, but I will save that for another time. Instead, I am going to give you some insight on how to take a break from school, in order to rejuvenate yourself and come back ready to conquer anything in your path. 

First off, I want to emphasize the fact that it is perfectly fine to take a break every once in a while. Students have a lot going on in their lives with all of the assignments and tests due, sports, extracurricular activities, and various home life priorities. Once in a while students need to put aside time for themselves and focus on their mental health. 

One way you can destress is by doing something that you enjoy doing. Everyone has their “thing” and allowing yourself to be able to pursue it is important. Creating a positive setting can stop yourself from stressing out and give you a mental break from being in “school mode”. Just because you have a few assignments to do doesn’t mean you should make excuses for not doing things that you enjoy. That could be putting aside an hour for reading, drawing, going for a walk, working out, watching tv, or anything else that puts a smile on your face. Sometimes allowing yourself to have fun can cause a more positive outlook on the work you have to do in the future.

Another option to mentally take a break from school is hanging out with friends or family. You may look at spending time with friends and family as a distraction to school work and school in general, but it is not a negative distraction if that break is needed. At times, distracting yourself from the stress is the best way to stop stress. Having fun with friends or family allows you to refocus on work in the future by seeing it in a different light. Staring at a problem or a computer screen for hours on end may not lead to the best outcome. Yet, taking breaks to enjoy yourself and spend time with people that make you happy might just lead you to complete your assignment to the best of your ability. 

Furthermore, an idea to distress is taking breaks to “breathe” when completing your assignments. It is difficult to come home and sit at your computer doing homework after you just left school for however many hours. Taking small five to fifteen minute breaks helps your brain regain focus at the task at hand. In those few minutes you can grab a quick snack, go on your phone, pet your furry friend, or just do something that gives you a break from what you are working on. In a sense, some students may feel suffocated by the amount of assignments they have to complete. This then causes you to feel the need to breathe, which you shouldn’t feel the need to suppress. Sometimes allowing yourself to breathe helps you regain your focus and prevents stressing yourself out even more. 

A final option to taking a mental break from school is taking the day off. I am not telling you to skip school every time you are feeling overwhelmed, but sometimes you need days to just regain your strength. School can be mentally, physically, and even emotionally draining. Taking the time to focus on yourself for a day is perfectly fine, as long as you are using the days sparingly and finishing all that you need to accomplish. 

What I am trying to say is taking the time to focus on you is completely acceptable. No one ever said school was going to be easy, especially for those taking higher-level classes. School and your education are important in life, but your mental health surpasses that importance by far.

If you want to ask for any tips or advice, please fill out the google from below:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfRrbQ2nrlkM_qdkvuhNvkW6HbnOkc4fnz5w2BJL3d70y2Muw/viewform?usp=sf_link