Tori’s Tips: 10/30

Toris Tips: 10/30

Tori Simons, Staff Writer

What are some suggestions on how to improve your grade 

after not doing well on a test?

First off, I want to say that getting exceptional grades on every single assessment is not everything. Yes, grades are important and can help dictate your future, but doing poorly on a test is not going to be the end of the world. The best thing to do, in this scenario, is to set a goal for the next unit and unit test. A simple goal for the upcoming unit is to understand the topic enough to be able to explain it to someone else. A test goal could be to earn a better grade than what you received on the last one. In order to accomplish these goals, you have to take it upon yourself to put the time and effort into doing better. When in class, take notes and highlight key points that you will need to know. By doing this you will not only identify the major details of the unit, but are also helping your brain retain the information by writing it down. Drawing pictures and diagrams are also great ways to help visualize the concept. While in class, make sure to consistently ask clarifying questions to help yourself better comprehend the material and make sure you are not misunderstanding it. In addition, participating in class is a helpful way to stay focused and retain information. When you are talking and communicating with others, it is easier to remember information rather than sitting there trying to listen to five different people. Even though class time is very valuable to understand the unit you are learning, it is not the only time you have available. Using the “extra help sessions” and stopping by to see teachers once in a while will greatly improve your test scores. Being in the presence of a teacher one-on-one is very beneficial because their full attention is towards you, and not twenty other students. This will allow you to ask the questions you need to and go over problems that are confusing. The time you have in school is very valuable and can be utilized in a way that allows you to fully grasp a concept. However, if topics are still misleading, I highly suggest going over certain concepts and reiterating information at home. Being comfortable with your notes and examples done in class will further expand your knowledge on the unit. Overall, getting ahead on future tests and quizzes will only help higher your grades. Yes, there is extra credit, make-up work, and possible test corrections, but the best way to boost your grade is truly understanding the material and displaying how much you have learned in class. 

If you want to ask for any tips or advice, please fill out the google from below:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfRrbQ2nrlkM_qdkvuhNvkW6HbnOkc4fnz5w2BJL3d70y2Muw/viewform?usp=sf_link