Kim’s Monthly Motivations: October 2021

Kimberly Vasta, Staff Writer

Hello everyone and welcome back to Kim’s Monthly Motivations! I hope everyone had an absolutely fantastic summer! I don’t know if it’s just me, but this summer went by way too fast. However, with a lot of uncertainty in the air we are ALL finally back in the building and hopefully ready for a semi-normal school year. It is crazy how not only the freshmen are completely new to the school, but some sophomores are too. Though I went into school last year, I never really experienced high school like this. It is definitely overwhelming at first but it is something I and what seems like almost half the school is getting used to. It is safe to say that this year is an adjustment for everyone! Well, one thing has not changed, and that is that I will be continuing to do this column for the whole year! So, enough of this small talk. Let’s get into today’s article, in which will be about ways to help decrease stress with the beginning of the new school year afoot. So, without further ado, let’s dive right in!

————————————————————————————-

Quote of the month: “Breath. Let go. And remind yourself that this very moment is the only one you know you have for sure.” -Oprah Winfrey

————————————————————————————-

Ways to De-stress: 

With the start of the year, it can be pretty easy to feel stressed, out of sorts and have a lack of motivation. This year is also extra stressful because it is full time and everyone is back in person. Personally, I have felt a lot more stressed and even mentally exhausted from the start of the year. The full days and work are draining. However, here are some tips on how you can help de-stress and feel a little bit better….

• Buying a planner: I am going to say it right here: buying a planner was the best idea I have ever had. Not only does having a planner help you keep track of your work and get everything done on time, but it also helps you manage your time effectively. Something I like to do is make designated and reasonable times to work on specific homework for a class. By planning your afternoon out like this, you can find times to take breaks. Breaks are extremely important to take, even if it is only 10 minutes. Incorporating little slots of rest time will definitely help you relax, and since you have everything planned out you do not need to worry about not getting your work done in time! There are so many benefits! 
  • Ask for help: Many times, when I do not understand work for a class I get frustrated, stressed and experience overall every negative emotion in the book. If you are confused, it is important to ask your friends or even teachers for help on a topic.  You are not always able to do everything on your own, so ask for help when needed. It is ok to ask for assistance because at the end of the day you are still learning and with learning comes mistakes. I know this is pretty cheesy but trust me, it can go a long way. 
  • Listen to music: Whether it is when you are doing work or during breaks, music is an absolute lifesaver. Something I love about music is that you can use such tunes to help express any emotion you are feeling. For me, making a Spotify playlist specifically dedicated to homework helps me work faster. However, it is truly based on personal preference. Are you better at working with music in the background? It can’t hurt to try. 
  • Positive thinking: Ok, ok, I know! This is probably the most obvious and basic thing to say, but it is really important at the end of the day. Looking at yourself in a positive light and keeping your attitude positive in general will help you stress out less. After all, stress is just your brain overthinking and worrying. Don’t let your brain focus on the negative, have it focus on the positive. Believe me, I know it is easier said than done, but just small attempts still mean something. Say you catch yourself thinking, “I will never understand this topic.” Instead say, “I need to make sure to work harder on this topic.” Encouraging yourself only has positive benefits! 

————————————————————————————-

Fun facts to get you smiling: 

I don’t know about you, but I am definitely in the mood for a little pick me up right now. Fun facts never fail. 

Did you know…

• Penguins propose and stick together forever 
  • There’s a Valentine’s day for single people in South Korea. 
  • Dolphins have names for each other. 
  • Cows have best friends

• Sea otters hold hands when they sleep so they don’t drift away. 

(This is so cute I literally can not).

——————————————————————————

Well, looks like it is time to end the article here. Just know that if you are reading this, you are doing a great job no matter what. Whether it is your grades, sports, or job you are doing amazing and deserve to be proud of yourself! I don’t even need to know you to say I am proud! Keep being amazing! 

Speak to you all next month! 🙂