Club Spotlight: Minority Student Union

Sofia Colorado, Staff Writer

Freehold Township High School has a total of only 24% of students who are considered minorities. 12% being Hispanic, 7% Asian, and 5% black. This means that the other 76% of students are white. So, in a school that only about a quarter of its students are minorities, how are topics about race and discrimination heard and voiced? Well, Ellis Park and Anna DePass had an idea, and thus the Minority Student Union club was born. It is a club dedicated to helping amplify the voices of minorities and help create a safe space. But, the club is not limited to only minority students. Students of all races can join and help start a conversation on crucial topics such as diversity, discrimination, oppression, and other topics that can affect the everyday lives of people. 

Already, they have had meetings with speakers, such as Ms. Nagla Bedir from Teaching While Muslim. During this meeting, students heard Ms. Nagla Bedir talk about the Muslim experience in America. The objective of these meetings is to help educate students on the obstacles that different groups of people face on a daily basis. As the Minority Student Union club continues to share experiences and educate others, they also help with fundraising money for charities that focus on helping minorities. From February 26th until March 15th, they are holding a clothing drive to raise money for the charity that they vote upon. Some of the charities that are being considered include but are not limited to the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, Black Girls Rock, Asian Forum for Human Rights and Development, and American Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee. Not only is this a great opportunity to help out the community, but donating two bags full of any of the appropriate items can be equivalent to an hour of community service. 

This club is always welcoming whoever wants to help amplify the voices of their fellow classmates and the everyday issues that they face. In case you are wondering about joining, text “@msu2021” to the number 81010 to join the remind, and the google classroom code is ko64f3j. Not only is this a great club to help “channel and amplify the voices of the unheard and underrepresented” but it also is a great way to meet new people.