October Athlete of the Month: Alex Carnevale

Max Druckman, Editor

The Patriot Press interviewed field hockey captain Alex Carnevale after she was named one of FTHS’ October Athletes of Month. Congrats, Alex!

What position do you play?
I’m the goalkeeper.

Why do you like that position and what is the most challenging aspect of playing that position?
I like how dynamic the position is. One minute I could be diving on the ground, the next jumping with my hand in the air, and then kicking the ball all the way to the middle of the field. I also just love the feeling of saving a ball during the game.

What do you like best about field hockey?
I like the fact that the game is constantly changing. Most often, no single team is in possession of the ball for extended periods of time, and because the ball is loose, the play can quickly change. I also love that there are so many tricks and skills that people can learn with their sticks.

What is one of your most memorable moments playing field hockey?
One of my most memorable moments was the first time I started on varsity my freshman year. Everyone else on the team was older than me, and it was a really cool experience.

Do you have a favorite memory or game while playing for Township?
I always love to play the more difficult teams, because we play more defense and I also like a challenge. My favorite game actually was this year in our first game against Colts Neck. We lost 1-0 with about 8 seconds left in overtime which was sad, but the entire second half of that game was so exciting. We got a lot of shots and I had to block three penalty strokes. The fans on the side, my team on the sideline, and my coach were all so loud and energetic, and the adrenaline was high, so it was so much fun.

Who was your personal and professional inspiration to start playing field hockey?
I actually really did not have one. I played lacrosse goalie first (which I don’t play anymore), and thought it would be fun to try playing goalie in another sport.

What is your dream college and why?
I honestly don’t have one single college I’m super attached to, but I want to go where I can study history and dance.

What do you like to do in the offseason?
Although it’s not really a key aspect of my position, I really enjoy running in the offseason to stay in shape.

What is something interesting that people don’t know about you?
I’m vegetarian, but I actually don’t eat a lot of vegetables, so people call me an “anti-veggie vegetarian”.

Do you have any pre-game rituals or superstitions?
I always listen to music to get hyped up before a big game. One song I have been listening to since freshman year is Kill the Lights; it was our unofficial team song that year.

What are you going to miss the most about FTHS?
I’m really going to miss the supportive teachers, especially the ones I have had in the IB program.

What is your favorite school subject and why?
History is my favorite subject, because I love learning about different time periods and cultures, and it’s so interpretive which is cool. Historiography is especially interesting to me.

What is your favorite type of music and who is your favorite musician?
My music taste is very varied. I enjoy pop, indie-folk, 80’s music, and then some random stuff too. My favorite artist overall is Taylor Swift, I know her entire discography by heart.

What is your favorite pre-game snack or meal?
There is not really one specific snack or meal I always eat, but I usually like to have some sort of protein and/or carbs.

Do you have a favorite hobby outside of field hockey?
Outside of field hockey, I am actually a dancer. Even during the field hockey season, I am at my dance studio after practice or games most days. Currently, I’m rehearsing for my solo in my studio’s production of The Nutcracker.

What is the key to being a good captain?
A good captain has to provide encouragement to everyone on the team. It doesn’t matter who your friends with on the team, and who you barely know. On the field, everyone has to be held to an equal standard, which you support them to succeed in. If the team is in a tough situation, you have to keep your head up and remain positive, even if you might not feel that way inside. It’s about putting others before yourself.

Here are some of Alex’s accomplishment from her award-winning month:

• 125 saves
  • 2 shutouts
  • 3 saves on penalty strokes in one game vs. Colts Neck

Here’s what Coach Latz had to say about Alex:

“Alex has been the deciding factor for us either winning a game or keeping it close. Her teammates continuously compliment her and trust her as their goalie. All three head coaches from top ten Shore Conference teams [we played] have praised Alex for her ability and talent…no prompting- it was just that her raw talent couldn’t be ignored.”