10 Tips To Stay Focused During Remote Learning

Olivia Naum, Staff Writer

In these unprecedented times, we have been dealing with a multitude of new and often overwhelming situations. Along with the current uncertainty, we, as students, also have to learn how to navigate remote learning. While it is a great challenge to have to complete classwork without the assistance of teachers and peers, there are many ways to increase your own productivity and alleviate the stress of remote learning. 

• Create a morning routine- and stick to it!

Set an alarm for a time that is not too far off from the time you would normally wake up for school. Follow a similar routine to the one you had to get ready for school or experiment with new ones. Whatever you choose make sure it includes breakfast and putting on clothes that are not pajamas. Keeping a routine that’s similar to one that you would use when attending school is key to maintaining your focus.

• Make a schedule 

Write down the most important blocks in your day. Write down the time you wake and the time you want to start working on school work. Note when you want to have meals and breaks from your work. This schedule should be broad and act as an outline and be applied to any day.

• Write a daily to-do list 

In addition to the general schedule, a daily to-do list can help you maintain focus. When you log onto Google Classroom for the day, first take a look at the upcoming assignments for all your classes. Make a list of the assignments you want to complete for that specific day in order of what will be the most time consuming. Check them off as you go!

• Set timers on assignments

On your daily to-do list, make a note of how long each assignment should take you. As you are working on each task, set a timer on your phone or computer. Give yourself enough time where you do not feel rushed. Do not give yourself an unreasonably long amount of time either. The point of this is to be aware of how long you are spending on each assignment. Also, it decreases distractions because you will be motivated to finish in the set amount of time. 

• Remove distractions

Before you start working remove any items that would keep you from staying on task. Make sure when you put away these items there are put in places you cannot see or hear. This is the best way to not be tempted to pick up your phone or any other distracting items. 

• Set up a study space

Choose a spot either in your room or in an office where you will complete all your work. Keep all your computer, books, and other materials in this space. In order to reduce distractions make sure that this space is away from other family members and is used only for school work. 

• Maintain organization 

Reducing clutter is one of the best ways to increase productivity and maintain focus. Having lots of items on your desk can act as a distraction because you will only want to fidget with them. Not only should your space be organized but your materials should be orderly as well. Create a separate notebook or binder for each subject. If you have any paper that involves a specific class, make sure it stays in the corresponding binder and does not stay loose on your desk or finds its way into another binder. As we are mostly working online, make sure that your Google Drive is as organized as well as your physical materials. Create folders for each subject, possibly even make folders for every unit or category within these folders. Make sure they have clear titles and try color coding them. 

• Take Breaks

Although this seems counterintuitive, removing yourself from your work is an important way to improve focus. Only work on school work for a few hours at a time, then step back from your workspace. Move into a different room than where you work and focus on something else. Although it is relaxing to just scroll through your phone or watch tv, sometimes attempt to mix in other activities. Try reading, painting a picture, or practicing a sport. 

• Connect with friends

Find a study partner who you share classes with or someone who takes similar courses to yours. Help each other stay on task by discussing work and going over material that you do not understand. Use this as a tool for your learning rather than an even larger distraction. Otherwise connect with friends only during breaks. 

•  Get enough sleep

Creating a sleep schedule and maintaining it is imperative to maintain focus and increasing productivity. If you sleep 8-10 hours every night you will see vast improvements in your energy and subsequently your level of focus. Try not to go to bed late and prevent sleeping in too long. Sleeping until noon will only decrease your focus even if it allows you to get an adequate amount of sleep. Set a time to go to sleep and to wake-up and continue on this schedule in order to see the best results for your focus.