A Review of Ariana Grande’s New Album “thank u, next”

Deryn Younger, Editor-in-Chief

On February 8th, Ariana Grande released her fifth studio album – thank u, next – named after her hit song that quickly broke streaming records and went platinum after it dropped.  Her previous album, Sweetener, was only released in August of 2018, so it was quite a surprise for fans when Grande revealed she would be producing a new album so quickly. Some speculated the album would be no good due to how quickly it appeared to have been made, but a majority of fans were extremely excited for new music (including me!). After listening to the album multiple times, I think it can easily be said that this is one of Grande’s best albums thus far in her career. Let’s start by giving a song-by-song review:

• “imagine”

This song was originally released as a promotional single for the upcoming album in December 2018, and was a good choice to promote the album. With a more relaxed tone, Ariana uses this song to convey her feelings on failed, publicized relationships. From the beginning, she imagines the perfect, private relationship she wishes she could have, with nothing more than simple relaxation and take-out food being the highlight of her night. The verses and bridges all have a trap-like beat behind them, but when the chorus comes in all of the background music stops, leaving Ariana’s pronounced “Imagine a world like that” to take the spotlight. One thing that surprised fans most in this song was Ariana’s rare use of whistle tones, which fans haven’t heard for a long time. With everything in this song working together in perfect harmony, “imagine” is for sure a strong start to thank u, next.

• “needy”

Snippets of “needy” were released randomly by Ariana on Twitter and Instagram for a few months leading up to the album’s release. Needless to say, this song was definitely one of the more highly anticipated ones on the album – and Ariana didn’t disappoint. Despite being a shorter song, it certainly packs a punch and gets a message across. Ariana spills everything she feels in this song, saying how she loves too hard and gives too much for people who don’t give the same amount of love and attention to her. She reveals her deepest thoughts on her so-called “flaws” when she’s in a  relationship, definitely making it a relatable song for many listeners.

• “NASA”

Clingy relationships are never good, and this is exactly what Ariana talks about in this song. Sometimes all you need is just some “me time” and time to give yourself some love, which is what “NASA” is essentially about. She still loves her significant other, but just wants to take some time for herself and focus on bettering her body and mind. She’ll need space – hence the NASA reference – because she know’s she’s “a star” and needs to be by herself, just floating around in her own little world before she can come back down the universe.

• “bloodline”

n;fs

• “fake smile”

njgfls

• “bad idea”

bjkl

• “make up”

gjk

• “ghostin”

ngk;s

• “in my head”

nkvgd

• “7 rings”

klvds

• “thank u, next”

nklda

• “break up with your girlfriend, i’m bored”

nvdls