FFA Competes in Fall CDE

Brianna Diaz, Staff Writer

On November 16th, four groups from the FFA put their skills to the test, competing at Rutgers at the Fall Career Development Events. Honing in on their particular skills, students were able to attend either fruit and vegetable identification, turf management, land judging, or dairy judging. For the fruit and vegetable identification, Olivia Simon ranked the highest at 36th, scoring a total of 540 points. Gio D’Egidio says on this experience, “This was an enlightening experience to get to have, to see so many different people from different places competing at the same thing.” This CDE composed of visually identifying the produce, as well as a written test, and choosing out of three sample groups of produce which more accurately represented the food given. In turf management, the freehold competitors all ranked over 20, with the highest being Alyssa Granito at rank 5. Alyssa says, “Turf management requires skills that many agriculturalists use in their everyday lives.” This CDE also included a written test, as well as problem solving, square footage, identification and maintenance. The next CDE was land judging, in which Gabbie Vilanova ranked the highest at 29th. Last but not least, dairy judging, with Valentin Privitera ranking 8th. This CDE was composed of two exams on milk production and marketing, as well as problem solving, cheese identification, milk flavors and defects, among other things. Overall, Freehold showed strong in these career development events. Congratulations to all who competed for such a good job.