Current Events: Iran, Zimbabwe, Guns, Marriage

Anna Kaganova, Staff Writer

In Iran

Survivors sit in front of a destroyed house on the earthquake site in Sarpol-e-Zahab in western Iran, Tuesday, Nov. 14, 2017. Rescuers are digging through the debris of buildings felled by the Sunday earthquake in the border region of Iran and Iraq. (AP Photo/Vahid Salemi)

Last weekend, a 7.3 magnitude earthquake shook the border between Iraq and Iran, killing around 600 people and injuring some 7,400. The majority of the death toll fell in Iran.

This is the deadliest earthquake in the world in 2017 and the deadliest to strike Iran since 2012.

It is estimated that 70,000 people in total will need some sort of shelter as a result of the earthquake’s damage. Many homes in the predominantly Kurdish mountainous area are made of mud bricks, and were unable to withstand such a strong earthquake.

The region is incredibly prone to earthquakes, located in the way of the clash between the moving Arabia and Eurasia tectonic plates.

This video shows some of the earthquake’s devastating results.

In Zimbabwe

Jekesai Njikizana/AFP/Getty Images
https://www.npr.org/sections/parallels/2017/02/20/516254851/nearing-93-robert-mugabe-shows-no-sign-of-stepping-down

On Wednesday, Zimbabwe’s military took over the country’s government, placing the 93-year-old President Robert Mugabe and his wife under house arrest. The army also put itself in charge of government offices and state TV, and set out troops to patrol the capital.

Mugabe has been president since 1980, when Zimbabwe first became independent. It’s likely that the recent events were caused by the firing of the Vice President, Emerson Mnangagwa. Many believe this was done so that Mugabe’s wife, Grace Mugabe, could take over the VP role.

The military strongly denied staging a coup, saying that they’re only trying to bring “the criminals” around Mugabe to justice to “pacify the degenerating political, social and economic situation in our country”. Mr Mugabe was pictured smiling beside army chiefs on Thursday and left the house for a scheduled appearance at a university on Friday.

Not much changed in normal people’s lives, reported BBC.  

In America

Investigators outside the Rancho Tehama Elementary School in California.

On Tuesday, a shooter killed at least four people and injured 10 others in Northern California, firing in multiple locations. The suspect was shot by law enforcement on-scene.

The local Rancho Tehama Elementary School went in a lockdown after shots were fired. Two students were injured, but they are currently in a non-threatening condition.

The man had been armed with a semi-automatic rifle and two handguns, said Tehama County Assistant Sheriff Phil Johnston.

The incident takes place only two weeks after the Sutherlands Springs shooting in Texas, which killed 26 people, and a month after the Las Vegas shooting in which 58 people died.

Wait, good news?

People celebrated in Melbourne on Wednesday after Australians indicated in a survey that they would approve same-sex marriage.

On Tuesday, Australia announced that it voted in favor same-sex marriage during a nationwide survey.

More than 60% of Australians voted yes,  38% voting against. Turnout was record high: near 80% of the 1.6 million electorate showed up. For once this week, love won.