Senior Spotlight: Matthew Mabutas

Lindsey Golotko, Editor-in-Chief

The class of 2018 is one of the most unique and interesting grades to have ever roamed the hallways of FTHS. Students range from amazing singers, phenomenal athletes, and original artists. Each week a new senior is interviewed to highlight their special qualities and the impact FTHS has had on them. These seniors finally receive their moment in the spotlight!

What does FTHS mean to you?

To me, FTHS is a source of countless opportunities. I have always found limitless ways for students to express themselves in any way they see fit, beit through extracurriculars, athletics, and academics. At FTHS, everyone finds a place where they belong and everyone has the capacity to thrive in those places.

What activities are you involved in? How have these impacted your life?

I am currently involved in 5 clubs and 3 varsity sports. These clubs include: Band, Students Helping Honduras, National Honors Society, Technology Student Association, and Junior State of America. In addition, I run cross country and both seasons of track. Besides extending my day at school by 2 hours, these activities have allowed me to develop passions and friendships beyond the classroom. Being in so many activities has allowed me to maximize what I can do in my spare time and has shown me how to achieve a healthy balance between school, sports, clubs, and family.

Out of all four years of high school, what is your favorite memory at Township?

My favorite memory at Township was junior year when I asked my friend Erin to prom in front of the entire track team at the end of the season party. The night before I remember staying up until 3 a.m. making the sign, which I hid with the flowers in my friend’s locker the whole day, hoping the flowers didn’t die in there. I even remember when I asked coach Briggs if it was an appropriate time for me to ask someone to prom that day.  

Looking back ten years from now, what do you hope your legacy will be at FTHS?

10 years from now, I want to look back at FTHS and see our NHS chapter continuing to grow, improve, and serve our local communities. Service and sacrifice mean a great deal to me and if I see these qualities displayed by our chapter 10 years from now, I will have made a difference in our school.

What is your favorite class you have taken while in high school?

My favorite class taken at FTHS is Spanish. I loved being able to apply what I learned in the classroom to the real world right away through conversations with Señora Jiménez and my fellow classmates. I was always interested in learning about the different cultures of Latin America and Spain, especially the food aspect. What really set Spanish apart from my other classes was definitely Señora Jimenez. She has a genuine passion for spreading her culture with her students and was one of the best teachers I could have asked for.

What person has impacted you the most at FTHS?

The person that has impacted me the most at FTHS is undoubtedly my best friend Russell Lloyd. He really opened up my personality and encouraged me to hang out more with friends, take risks, and most of all: to not stop being myself. If we never met, my experience at FTHS would be significantly less entertaining. On a serious note, without him, I literally would not be who I am today.

What passion have you discovered while at FTHS?

While at Township, I discovered my passion to serve the community and to help others unconditionally. I wanted to be President of NHS so that I would have the opportunity to lead others in making the world a better place, one hour at a time. Going into the future, I hope to improve and expand my service and commitment to national and potentially global scales.

What is your dream in life?

At its core, I think my dream in life is to reflect back decades from now and be able to say that I did everything in my ability to make the world a better place. Disregarding career aspirations, all I want to do is help others and in doing so, spread positivity.

What advice do you have for underclassmen?

There are four main pillars that one needs to follow in order to succeed in high school. First: ignore what others think about you. Don’t let anyone force you into a negative mindset. Always focus on what you need to do rather than how others feel about you doing it. Second: don’t limit yourself. Get involved, meet as many people as possible, dream as big as you want. Our perception of success has a direct correlation with our actual success, so always think positive and don’t underestimate yourself! Third: learn how to communicate. If you agree with something, stand up for it. If you are unsure about something, ask questions. More importantly, learn how to stay in contact with your teachers, coaches, and advisors because that is an essential life skill. Fourth: always be humble. Never let your success turn into arrogance. Instead, channel it into helping others succeed.