My Trip to Dover Motor Speedway!
Cameron Delgado, Staff Writer • June 17, 2024
UEFA Euro 2024 Preview
Samuel Fung, Staff Writer • June 10, 2024
Paul Skenes is Here to Stay
Justin Young, Staff Writer • June 3, 2024
Rolex Monte-Carlo Masters Recap
Allison Vaughan, Staff Writer • May 30, 2024

Paul Skenes is Here to Stay

Somehow, someway, Paul Skenes keeps getting better.

The first overall pick in the 2023 MLB draft is seen as one of the most exciting pitching prospects of the last 20 years, drawing many comparisons to 3 time all-star and 2019 World Series champ Steven Strasberg. He recorded a 0.99 ERA with 45 strikeouts to only 8 walks in 27 ⅓ innings during his time in AAA. These impressive numbers earned him the call up to the majors on May 11th, 2024. He made his debut when the Pittsburgh Pirates faced off against the Chicago Cubs, ending his first outing recording 7 strikeouts while giving up 3 earned runs over 4 innings. Although his seven strikeouts were impressive, the start still left things to be desired. Despite this, Skenes’ Pirates would go on to win the game 10-9. This left many fans eager to see if he could improve on this performance during his second start, also coming against the Cubs on May 17th. Skenes delivered, to say the least, while making history in the process. During this start Skenes would record an immaculate 11 strikeouts while giving up 0 runs, 0 hits, and issuing only 1 walk over 6 stunning innings.  This performance is extremely impressive and it shows Skenes is living up to his immense hype.

Skenes became the first pitcher in the modern era to record 10+ strikeouts and give up no hits in his first or second career appearance. Furthermore, Skenes struck out the first 7 batters he faced in the game, only 2 shy of the all-time record. This electrifying performance from Skenes was more than enough to win, as the Pirates would go on to trounce the Cubs 9-3. Many times young pitchers need to get adjusted to MLB level hitting, but in this case it’s hitters who need to take time to adjust themself to Skenes’ dominant fast ball. This gem of a pitch has left fans eagerly waiting for Skenes’ next start. Although it is unlikely he’ll replicate such a historic performance when he takes the mound next, it is more than safe to assume he will continue to amaze fans for the remainder of the 2024 season and beyond. All of this is to say Paul Skenes has officially arrived, and Paul Skenes is officially here to stay.