My Trip to Dover Motor Speedway!
Cameron Delgado, Staff Writer • June 17, 2024
UEFA Euro 2024 Preview
Samuel Fung, Staff Writer • June 10, 2024
Paul Skenes is Here to Stay
Justin Young, Staff Writer • June 3, 2024
Rolex Monte-Carlo Masters Recap
Allison Vaughan, Staff Writer • May 30, 2024

2024 NFL Draft: Top Six Draft Classes

2024 NFL Draft: Top Six Draft Classes

The 2024 NFL Draft has now concluded and its time to reflect on the performances of team executives. I gave A grades to six GM’s in particular who put together strong draft classes. Here they are, in no particular order.

Los Angeles Rams

No, this is not to show that I am able to put my biases aside. The Rams genuinely had a great draft class (which, as a Seattle fan, makes me scared). Using a first-round pick for the first time since 2016, GM Les Snead took Jared Verse 19th overall. I had a top ten grade on Verse, so this was a major steal. Other steals in the class include Blake Corum, Kamren Kinchens, Brennan Jackson, and Beaux Limmer. Yes, they took a kicker, but it’s a Stanford guy who was taken after the Rams addressed all of their primary roster needs, so priorities were set well. The Rams are going to be competitive as long as Les Snead is running the show during draft season, and it’s because of classes like this.

Denver Broncos
The Broncos had very limited draft capital but got a lot of players that I was high on. Bo Nix and Jonah Elliss were solid early picks, but thei Day 3 slate was the best in the league. Troy Franklin (second-round grade), Kris Abrams-Draine (late 2nd-round grade) and Audric Estime (third-round grade) were all part of the Day 3 haul. Plus, their final two picks, Devaughn Vele and Nick Gargiulo, have high athletic upside. So basically, there is a chance that the Broncos could hit on every pick (though the whole draft will be rememberd for Bo Nix’s performance).

Los Angeles Chargers
Jim Harbaugh’s first year as Chargers head coach will be helped by LA’s strong draft. Despite not using a top 5 pick on the best receivers, he got a solid haul of wideouts in the later rounds: Ladd McConckey, Brendan Rice, and Cornelius Johnson. On defense, the selections of Junior Colson and Cam Hart were very solid. Hart in particular was a steal in the fifth round, although the biggest steal might be Kimani Vidal at pick 209. Vidal is a great pass-blocking running back who dominated the Sun Belt, and he has very high upside. Overall, it was a very strong draft class.

New York Giants

The Giants had only six picks but made the most of every single one. Malik Nabers addresses the need for a dynamic receiver. Tyler Nubin and Andru Phillips addressed needs in the leaky secondary. Theo Johnson adds athletic tight end depth behind the recently injured Darren Waller and Daniel Bellinger. Tyrone Tracy gives Devin Singletary a nice complement at running back. And Darius Muasau adds very solid linebacker depth.

New Orleans Saints
The Saints did well with very limited draft capital. After striking gold with their first two picks, New Orleans did not pick again until the fifth round, where they started nabbing steal after steal after steal. Spencer Rattler should have gone way higher than 150th overall. Jaylan Ford and Khristian Boyd also should have gone way higher. But, the Saints got them late on Day 3. Bub Means and Josiah Ezirim are high upside athletes. Means has great speed and Ezirim has great size and athleticism in his own right and was their second tackle taken, something the Saints needed considering injuries and poor play on both sides of the offensive line.

Philadelphia Eagles

The last of the A-grade drafts comes from a guy who always seems to hit on his draft picks. Howie Roseman worked his draft magic yet again and picked nine players who could elevate Philadelphia back to the promised land. Quinyon Mitchell and Cooper DeJean were both steals at their position and both improve Philly’s secondary. Jeremiah Trotter Jr., son of a former Eagles star linebacker himself, was a major steal at pick 155. Johnny Wilson in Round 6 was also a big steal; the 6’7” receiver has high upside and should thrive while being surrounded by superstar wideouts and a strong starting QB. Ainias Smith can be the kick returner of the future. The other picks were nothing too special on paper, but down the road, could probably play a huge role in Nick Sirianni’s offense. Don’t be surprised if some of the rookie in this class become Pro Bowlers in year 1.