The Freshmen

The Freshmen

With Thanksgiving fast approaching, spirits are high here at Freehold Township. The end of November marks the most highly anticipated event of year: Battle of the Classes {BOTC}. Each grade competes in head on events such as costumes, find-the-patriot, junkyard relay, and lip sync. BOTC is filled with spirit, competitiveness, and loads of fun.

For freshmen, this year is the first time they exposed to the grand nature that BOTC has to offer. The fourteen key people on this team include Gianna Charles, Michael Farrell, Troy Fenton, Peyton Ferraro, Maya Gerke, Olivia Juliano, Joe Lardaro, Jill Laricy, Josh Leonetti, Nina Lombardi, Macie Martin, Griffin Murphy, Zach Orrico, and Jake Stern. While the seniors normally are the favored contestant, the freshmen are sure they stand a chance will be the true underdogs of the competition.

Between practicing the dance and creating costumes, the team has barely had a moment to think. Luckily the Patriot Press was able to sit down with some of them and find out some information about their experience.

How did it feel to win a spot on the BOTC team?

• Troy Fenton: The feeling of winning a spot on botc was amazing. Coming from Howell, I didn’t know most of the Freehold kids. Hearing my name being called at homecoming was really nice. Out of the 14 people on the team, all of them I got to meet for the first time. They all are great people with great personalities. Everyone has something different to bring to the table which I love about this group. From the start scrolling through all the names for the boys on the botc list I only knew a handful of them. For people to vote me in to do this, I was astonished.
  • Maya Gerke: I was extremely shocked, when I heard my name announced I couldn’t breathe because I was so excited. Of course, I wanted the position very badly, but I didn’t think I would get it. Now that I am in it, I have made some new friendships and strengthened some old ones.
  • Joe Lardaro:I was excited to know that I would be a part of BOTC because I knew it was a fun event from what upperclassmen say and how serious they treat it. I was also excited that my close friends were picked.
  • Nina Lombardi: It was very surprising. Out of the many names that were on the list I did not think I would have been one to be chosen, but I am very happy to be on the team. I have always wanted to participate in this event from watching youtube videos and seeing my friends from other schools do it.
  • Macie Martin: I was so excited to finally find out that I was apart of BOTC. I never thought I would make it.
  • Zach Orrico: I was thrilled to hear I made the BOTC team. It was unexpected coming from Manalapan, but I am glad to have done it because I have met many new, great people.

What are you most excited for? Why?

• Troy Fenton: I’m most excited to compete in front of our school when everyone’s going crazy and smiles are on everyone’s faces. It will be a great time. This is a time when we get to make memories that won’t be forgotten.
  • Maya Gerke: I am most excited for the most iconic part of the special night: the dance. Everyone on the team has worked endless hours in hopes to prove the fellow and upperclassmen that freshmen can be more than just a fourth place spot.
  • Joe Lardaro: I’m most excited for the dance because that is arguably the most important event and our sole focus in practice was to finish the dance and improve it.
  • Nina Lombardi: Obviously the dance. I think that will be a very fun part of the night. We have been practicing A LOT and I hope it pays off on Tuesday night.
  • Macie Martin: I am most excited for the dance, of course. I hope we do very well because we are working really hard to get it done and perfect.
  • Zach Orrico: I am most excited for the competition coming up on Tuesday night. I really look forward to doing our dance in front of a large portion of the student body, and competing in many other events.

How do you feel you compare with the other grades?

• Troy Fenton: We definitely have a lot to prove being the lowest as freshmen. The other grades look down to us so we have to come out strong and do our thing. I think we can pull out a good ranking with the total of all 4 grades.
  • Maya Gerke: I think that we do have some pretty tough competition this year, but we have a strong team physically and mentally, so I think we will be able to pull through.
  • Joe Lardaro: I think that the freshmen are underestimated in BOTC due to lack of experience. I personally do not have any idea of how the other classes will compare to us. However, I feel we will put out our best effort and defy the low expectations for freshman in BOTC.
  • Nina Lombardi: I think all the freshmen agree that we are pretty nervous to see what the other grades have in store, but it is nothing we can’t handle.
  • Macie Martin: I am very nervous to see the other grades, but I feel that we will be able to stay strong and be the best we can be.
  • Zach Orrico: As freshman we are the true underdog, and nobody expects much out of us. However, I believe we match up well against all of the upper classmen, and have a better chance than many people believe.

How are you preparing for BOTC?

• Troy Fenton: Our botc members are all in a group chat together and we contact each other more than twice everyday. It might be planning, or having a meeting, or an idea someone has come up with. We take this all into consideration and make it come to life. We go through our dance and figure out how everything has to be so come show time we will be ready.
  • Maya Gerke: The entire team is working hard, practicing and brainstorming almost everyday. If we aren’t practicing then we are discussing practice times, costume ideas, dance moves, etc.
  • Joe Lardaro: We always are at different locations every week and everyone tries to attend. In these meet ups, we create ideas for the dance, costumes, and how we can make improvements that will help us be successful in BOTC.
  • Nina Lombardi: I, along with the rest of the team, have been practicing almost everyday. We have been either practicing at MJT park on the stage or crammed into someone’s basement trying to get all the perfect movements.
  • Macie Martin: The whole team have been practicing very hard almost every day. We made a group chat with the whole team on our phones to discuss everything we need to be the best we can be.
  • Zach Orrico: We practice almost everyday as a team, whether it is at someone’s house, or another location. Also, we have a group chat where we discuss all of our strategy for acquiring the most points possible.

What do you think your biggest advantage is going into BOTC?

• Troy Fenton: I think our biggest advantage is going to be how everyone does their part. Our group has different ways of doing things. A different perspective on things. That does for each individual person. Not everyone has people that are different and shine in different ways. Our group has that to us.
  • Maya Gerke: I think our biggest advantage is going to be our fellow freshmen class. While walking in the hallways during school, I see that we are a very outgoing class. I think their support and motivation will help us on the night of BOTC.
  • Nina Lombardi: I think our advantage is our team itself. From the start having our first meeting at Jake’s house we all had a great connection.  Our ideas were similar and we are all able to get serious when needed, but also to enjoy all the practices leading up to the “big day”.
  • Macie Martin: I think our biggest advantage is that all of the people that were picked are friends and get along.
  • Zach Orrico: I think our biggest advantage is that because no one expects much of our team, so we can surprise everyone and do well.

What’s your strategy going into the big day?

• Troy Fenton: To just be yourself s and do the best we can. At the end of the day we came to compete and troy our best.
  • Maya Gerke: My strategy going into the big day is to try my hardest and have fun. I can’t wait to share this moment with the people I’ve spent the last three weeks or so with.
  • Nina Lombardi: For me honestly it is just to have fun and enjoy the night.
  • Macie Martin: My biggest strategy is to have so much fun and enjoy it while it lasts.
  • Zach Orrico: To win.

What event is your weakest?

• Troy Fenton: I really couldn’t tell you an answer we don’t know how the activities will work this year.
  • Maya Gerke: Our weakest event may be Tug-of-War, but then again everyone’s a little weary about Tug-of-War. We are the youngest in the school. But you never know, maybe we’ll shock the crowd in the event.
  • Nina Lombardi: I don’t really know…at this point we have not been told what the activities are throughout the night. It is weird because our team is very athletic, but none of us our dancers, especially me.  The dance is something everyone looks forward too, but when you have not danced since you were six years old, it will probably be challenging.
  • Macie Martin: I have no idea what our weakest event is but it will probably be tug of war because we are going against all older students.
  • Zach Orrico: The dance, none of us are true dancers so it may not look to good.

Will you try out again next year?

• Troy Fenton: I think I will try out again next year. It’s a lot of fun seeing everyone come together as a group and making up a dance and having meetings. It’s a fun time and that’s what I like about it.
  • Maya Gerke: I will definitely be trying out for BOTC next year, this has been such a great experience for me and I’ve never had more fun or laughed harder. We have all become sort of a family and I wouldn’t have traded that experience for anything else.
  • Nina Lombardi: I will definitely try out again next year. It has been such an amazing and fun experience, and I can’t wait to see the outcome Tuesday night!
  • Macie Martin: Yes I will definitely try again next year so I can be apart of one of the biggest school events and have so much fun.
  • Zach Orrico: I will probably tryout for BOTC next year. It was very fun this year and I enjoyed it with all my teammates and it has been loads of fun.

Any last words?

• Troy Fenton: WE BRING HOME Wsssss.
  • Maya Gerke: All I have to say is good luck to the upperclassmen but don’t get too confident… you have some tough competition this year.
  • Joe Lardaro: Don’t sleep on us.
  • Zach Orrico: I can’t wait to beat my brother’s team.

Come out on Tuesday, November 21st at 6:30 pm to see if the freshmen can pull off the upset of the century! Don’t forget to wear red if you are in ninth grade!

Interviews by Lindsey Golotko, Photos by Bianca Hazel

Patriot Press • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in