The+Sophomores

The Sophomores

As November gradually winds down, the student body of Freehold Township High is anticipating one the biggest social gatherings of the year: The Battle of the Classes. Battle of the Classes, or more commonly referred to as BOTC, is a day of much elation and festivity for many, and is often favored for its enjoyable attractions such as games, quirky costumes to marvel at, and a grand dance off between each team, which are comprised of fourteen students from each class year.

A battle known to often be dictated by the upperclassmen, each year has provided a brilliant spectacle for all to watch, yet the outcome is usually ceded to the more experienced players in the game. While the more seasoned members focus on strategies that would allow them to provide a showcase of their skills in the dance competition, the underclassmen attempt to form a diverse course of action that would enable novices a standout performance that would distinguish them from the rest of the competitive pool. The sophomores, in particular, are excited to make their mark.

The sophomore team participating in BOTC has fourteen contestants: Melanie Amoroso, Trinity Andrejewski,  Halle Bascone, Pat Borromeo, Mackenzie Chaflin, Brendan Doel, Athena Giannakouros, Joel Maragoto, Lindsay Messinger, Nic Nasso, Connor Petrula, Emily Pillarella, Evan Savino, and Nick Schulman. The team is hard at work and maintaining a consistent routine in order to ensure the best results.

While other members of the team were unavailable to speak with us at the time of our request,  The Patriot Press was able to speak with Brendan Doel, Nic Nasso, Lindsay Messinger, and Joel Maragoto, who were able to take the time out of their busy schedule and answer some questions regarding their experience, both as participants, and as a team.

What made you want to be apart of BOTC?

• Brendan Doel: All my friends did it last year and they said it was fun, so I wanted to be apart of it.
  • Nic Nasso: I wanted to be apart of BOTC because I wanted to be apart of something that involved a lot of teamwork, like football.
  • Lindsay Messinger: Doing BOTC freshman year gave me a chance to become close with the group and meet new people as a freshman. Our group became so close, I couldn’t imagine not doing it again. It gives me a chance to be creative and express myself, all while pleasing the crowds.
  • Joel Maragoto: I wanted to be apart of BOTC because I’ve heard so many people say that it’s the best experience of their high school career.

Brendan Doel

How did you initially feel when you were chosen to participate in BOTC?

• Brendan Doel: I was excited and I was looking forward to making good memories.
  • Nic Nasso: When I was initially chosen, I was filled with joy. I couldn’t wait to grow closer with my peers.
  • Lindsay Messinger: This year, as a returning member, I was excited to be chosen again. My head was filled with new ideas for the dance!
  • Joel Maragoto: I was very excited that I was chosen by my class to represent them in BOTC.

Nick Nasso

How many years have you each been on BOTC?

• Brendan Doel: This is my first year.
  • Nic Nasso: This is my first year.
  • Lindsay Messinger: This is my second year.
  • Joel Maragoto: I’ve been on BOTC for two years.

If you’ve been on it in the past, what was your favorite part?

• Lindsay Messinger: Practicing every night for a month turns a team into a big family. My favorite part was getting close with everyone.
  • Joel Maragoto: My favorite part was hanging out with my team every day and coming up with ideas for the dance and other things.

Lindsay Messinger

What activity are you most looking forward to?

• Brendan Doel: The dance.
  • Nic Nasso: The activity I am most looking forward to is the lip sync. We have put many hours into it and we have been nothing short of remarkable.
  • Lindsay Messinger: The lip sync! The sophomores are going to kill it this year!
  • Joel Maragoto: I’m looking forward to see the other classes dance.

Who do you believe to be your toughest competition out of the other classes (junior class, freshman class, senior class) and WHY?

• Brendan Doel: Senior class because the freshman and junior class will be easy to beat.
  • Nic Nasso: I feel like the senior class is the toughest competition, as many of them have lots of experience. However, we are more ready than ever.
  • Lindsay Messinger: The junior class is the sophomore’s biggest competition. Last year, they came to BOTC with a really good dance, so we are expecting big things from them again. The sophomores (us), are ready to beat them with our amazing ideas and strong team, however.
  • Joel Maragoto: The toughest competition is the junior class because they are the most prepared out of the other classes.

Joel Maragoto

The experience is always described to be a bit surreal and really exciting by everyone that does BOTC. Will you be returning next year?

• Brendan Doel: Yes, I want to make more lifelong memories
  • Nic Nasso: Yes, I will definitely be returning next year. There is nothing like BOTC.
  • Lindsay Messinger: I will 100% try out again. BOTC is my favorite thing in the school, and I couldn’t imagine myself not doing it again.
  • Joel Maragoto: Yes, I will be returning next year.

Each year, we are witness to teams that often boast words of encouragement for their peers and simple positivity for their success, acknowledging the “I can.” However, unlike the sophomore team, no other class manages to incorporate the “I will” into their daily routine- and that is something to look out for! BOTC will be taking place on November 21st at 6:00!  We’ll just have to wait and see which class takes it all. Best of luck to the sophomores and all the teams competing!  

Interviews by Amit Bachani, Photos by Bianca Hazel

Patriot Press • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Comments (0)

All Patriot Press Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.