The+Juniors

The Juniors

BOTC is quickly approaching here at Freehold Township High School, and it goes without saying that all grade levels are incredibly excited!

Battle of the Classes is one of the most fun times of the year for all students since those who attend get to see their classmates participate in entertaining, wacky, and, most importantly, memorable performances that ultimately decide which grade ends up on top.

Nearly every year, the senior class has been known to win, but it seems as if their closest competitors – the junior class – are rather confident in their ability to beat them once and for all! This year, the Junior BOTC team consists of fourteen members: Christian Corcione, Haley Cuozzo, Deanna D’Amico, Nick Elimanco, Gillian Gandolfo, Danielle Gubitosa, Alex Janssen, Alessia LaRosa, Evan Nastarowicz, Chris Orrico, Alexandra Simon, Zach Simon, Jen Weinstock, and Mike Woods.

Due to the team members’ busy schedules, The Patriot Press was able to interview four of the members of the Junior BOTC team. Here’s what they had to say about their team and their thoughts on possibly winning it all!

How long have you been on the BOTC team?

• Nick Elimanco: I’ve been on the team for two years now.
  • Evan Nastarowicz: Two years; since sophomore year.
  • Zach Simon: This is my third year on the team.
  • Jen Weinstock: This will be my third year on the team.

Do you think your team is well-constructed? Why?

• Nick Elimanco: I do think my team is well-constructed; most of us were on the team last year so all of the chemistry is still there.
  • Evan Nastarowicz: Yes. Even though there wasn’t a lot of time to prepare, we’ve come together well and each member has their own value.
  • Zach Simon: 100%, because the creativity and excitement between everyone in the group is incomparable to anything; everyone in the group wants to be there.
  • Jen Weinstock: Yes, I feel my team has a great group of people with all different, amazing personalities that helps up to work together really well.

What event are you looking forward to most?

• Nick Elimanco: Probably the dance; it’s what we have been preparing for and I get to make a fool of myself which is always fun.
  • Evan Nastarowicz: The Junkyard Relay.
  • Zach Simon: I’m looking forward to the dance; it’s the thing we practice the most and it’s what everyone remembers looking back in 10 years.
  • Jen Weinstock: I would definitely say the lip sync because that’s what we dedicate most of our time to so I’m excited to see how it comes together.

Do you know the people on the team well? If so, do you think that makes you a better team?

• Nick Elimanco: We all know each other for the most part; I think it makes idea sharing and practices more comfortable.
  • Evan Nastarowicz: Being that the team is almost the same (1 different person), there’s a lot of chemistry and closeness among us, which definitely strengthens us.
  • Zach Simon: Yes I do, this makes us such a better team, as this is pretty much the same team from last year, so we are ready to pick up where we left off.
  • Jen Weinstock: Yes, most of them I met in high school and being with them almost every day is something I enjoy because they are all such great people. Yes, I think it helps us to work together better.

What the best part about being on the Junior BOTC team?

• Nick Elimanco: We are considered serious competitors to bear the senior class.
  • Evan Nastarowicz: The experiences of making the dance to finally see it performed the night of.
  • Zach Simon: Being able to hang out and let my creativity out with the best people in the world.
  • Jen Weinstock: I think it’s the friends I have gained and the memories I have with these people.

Be honest: do you think you’ll be able to beat the Seniors this year?

• Nick Elimanco: Looking at the stats, the class of 2019 has never lost to the class of 2018, and that’s what we have been working for. I do think we have the opportunity.
  • Evan Nastarowicz: If all goes well the night of and the costumes look good, then yeah, I think it’s definitely a possibility.
  • Zach Simon: Guaranteed. Win. Period.
  • Jen Weinstock: I feel we have a very good chance. We beat them last year when we were sophomores and they were juniors, so it is possible. However, the judges have a special place in their hearts for the

Interviews by Deryn Younger, Photos by Bianca Hazel

Patriot Press • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Comments (0)

All Patriot Press Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.