Senior Spotlight: Gabby Beam and Eric Quartey, Your Homecoming King and Queen

November 3, 2017

The class of 2018 is one of the most unique and interesting grades to have ever roamed the hallways of FTHS. Students range from amazing singers, phenomenal athletes, and original artists. Each week a new senior is interviewed to highlight their special qualities and the impact FTHS has had on them. These seniors finally receive their moment in the spotlight!

Gabby Beam, Homecoming Queen

How did it feel to see your name on the ballot? What was your reaction?

I was very excited to see my name on the ballot because homecoming is a big deal in our school. I have been fortunate to be a part of homecoming festivities all 4 years through cheerleading, and it always has been something I looked forward to every year.

When you were at the Homecoming Dance and they announced the Senior Court, were you surprised when they called your name?

I was surprised when my name was called at the dance because the ballot was filled with about 40 other great girls. I knew it was going to be a very hard decision for people with the voting, however, I was filled with joy when I was called to the DJ booth.

After the dance, did you believe you actually think you were going to win or did you believe someone else was going to win? What did you think about the other people in the court?

After the dance I had such amazing emotions flowing because I had a great time with everyone. I honestly was just genuinely happy that I was even voted onto the court and was not worried about winning or losing, rather enjoying the moments with all of the people around me.

What was your reaction when King was called?

I was very happy for Eric and it was awesome how excited everyone in the stands were for him. He is a very kind and respectable person so I was happy to see someone like him represent the school as King.

How were you feeling leading up to the game? Were you excited, nervous?

I was overly excited about the game because being a cheerleader all 4 years, the homecoming game always has the best environment, win or lose. The tailgate brings everyone together for the game, in which everyone is in favor of our school. This year, I constantly kept thinking to myself to take in each and every moment because it is the last time to ever be in this position again.

When they called your name, what was running through your mind? Were you surprised?

When my name was called I was overwhelmed with happiness, and thankfulness. I was surprised because every girl in the court had a good chance of getting it in my opinion. I was very happy seeing everyone around me being very supportive and cheering me on. That moment will remain as one of the best memories of my life.

How does being Homecoming Queen add to your Township experience?

Before winning Queen, I was already very proud to be a student at FTHS. We have an amazing academic, extracurricular and family environment that constantly keeps me excited throughout the school year. One of my favorite things about FTHS is the amount of different towns we collect students from, which is different from every other school in FRHSD. I have become friends with students from all different towns and walks of life in which I appreciate everyone. I am extremely thankful and proud to represent FTHS as Homecoming Queen.

What does winning Homecoming Queen mean in terms of the Freehold Township family?

I am very proud to not only be representing FTHS as queen, but also very happy that everyone voted for me to be Homecoming Queen. FTHS gives me the feeling of a family environment and I have a large amount of love for my school so it was one of the best feelings to be named Queen for something that means so much to me.

What would advice would you give to your younger self about Township?

I would tell my younger self to stop stressing about the hard work and rather enjoy every second of it, because it will all soon pay off. I have been very fortunate to be surrounded by great teachers and who have helped shape me to conquer my future. In the end if you do good for the world good things will soon come back to you.