Summer Isn’t Free from Work

Lindsey Golotko, Editor-in-Chief

The summer is often viewed as a time for rest, relaxation and the coveted f-word: fun. For rising seniors, however, leaving their most difficult school year behind is met with even more stress and more work in the months meant for enjoyment. College applications, summer assignments, testing, and jobs make school seem like it never truly ended. With all these projects, essays, and packets claiming to prepare us for not only college, but the real world as well, students often ask when are we allowed to be kids?

Throughout their education, high schoolers are urged by teachers, guidance counselors, and parents to take only the highest classes offered. The more letters in front of a course name the better. Yet with each AP and honors course comes a pile of work just for each respective class. This summer AP Literature and Composition was tasked with reading two books, while not to daunting, the act of combining it with 8 page math packets, fourteen page science packets, a psych project, and much more leaves little break between finals and the start of school.

Moreover, senior students are challenged with the intimidating task of applying to colleges. Most students have been traveling all over the country in order to find which schools will be a good fit for them. Senior Jordyn Finley traveled all the way to Chicago this summer to visit two schools she is considering applying to, taking up a full week of time. Not to mention, with the Common Application opening up in the middle of the summer, most students have been writing and trying to perfect the essays they must submit. Nowadays, a majority of schools require more than one essay, with schools such as Carnegie Mellon University and University of Michigan requiring over three essays each, making students applying to over ten colleges drowning with work.

Additionally, students are often encouraged to work over the summer. Working five days a week for eight hours a day in the hot August sun not only leaves one exhausted, but also makes summer assignments and homework the last thing one wants to do. A lot of students have to pay for college and working a job is one way they are trying to avoid the hardships of taking loans, however, the thought of having to come home and do summer projects looms over their head.

Whatever happened to summers filled with waterslides and ice cream trucks? High schoolers are given an illusion of a season of relaxation only to have it be taken away by the piles of school work given.  In fact, without this rest, severe damage can be done to one’s health. Mental Health America states, “If you aren’t getting enough time to relax, you may find yourself feeling tense and stressed out. Long-term stress, if not addressed, can cause a host of health issues, including chest pain, headaches, digestive issues, and anxiety”

While it is unrealistic to not assign any summer assignments, the amount can be decreased drastically. With less work, students will be more apt to have less anxiety going into the year and will have an overall better time adjusting to school.