What to Do on the Weekends in Freehold

image couresy of townmapsusa.com

image couresy of townmapsusa.com

Paul Sisk, Staff Writer

When it comes to school, it can be a bit difficult getting back into the habits of homework and classes. For teachers, teaching the tired students can be tolling as well. But between all of the lab reports, quiz-grading, early wake-up times, and any other stress-inducing assignments, the students and teachers alike get the free time they need at the end of the week with a two-day period people call the weekend.

But when it comes to Freehold, New Jersey, what is there to do? All of the shopping trips to the Raceway Mall can get a bit repetitive, and there’s only so many things you can do in the comfort of your own home. So what attractions are there in the wonderful town of Freehold?

• AMC Freehold Metroplex 14 – Less than two parking lots away from the mall, the AMC Freehold 14 is one of the top rated attractions in the town. They play a variety of entertaining genres from horror to animation, all the way to special events like the one-time showings of television movies on the silver screen. Not to mention, the reclining seats are known to be comfortable and sleep-inducing. If you’re looking for a quick way to have some fun, going to the movies is definitely the way to go.

• The Amazing Escape Room – For a relatively new thing, this attraction has been blowing up! But what is “The Amazing Escape Room”? The general idea of the room is to do one thing: escape. This might sound simple, but it is anything but. From being locked in a writing room to having your eyes tricked by the Black-and-White room, there’s a wide variety of challenges, and even more coming with their new location. There is a catch, though. Not only do you have to escape a room, but you have to do so within sixty minutes! So if you’re looking for a good time and have a group of friends and an hour, The Amazing Escape Room is a very good choice.

• Michael J. Tighe Park – One of the tamer options is a park located right around the corner from FTHS. Whether your style of stress reduction is football, skating, basketball, or just sitting down and listening to the sounds of nature, Michael Tighe Park is a great place to hang out with friends. The common praise people have is that the park is very clean and well-maintained. Another thing that the park offers is the picnic areas, where you can sit down and have a nice lunch, surrounded by nature and beautiful scenery. Whether your style of chilling is playing a casual game of football or surrounding yourself with peaceful environments and harnessing your inner serenity, Michael J. Tighe Park presents many different options.

• FTHS Football – If you like hot dogs, sports, and school spirit, consider attending a football game. The Freehold Township Patriots varsity team plays after school, usually on Fridays. Sometimes they play on the home field, sometimes they don’t, so please check online beforehand. And even if you don’t attend, the Patriot Press covers the games, so you can check here, too.

• Pizza – Last, but certainly not least is the most important category of entertainment, food! One thing that Freehold does particularly well is pizza. After all of the escaping, movie-watching, nature-induced relaxing, and cheering when the opposing team fumbles the ball, the awesome people who fill their weekend with exciting things to do will be exhausted. That’s why you have to fill up with food to replenish your energy! One place to go is Krispy Pizza. Around the left of iPlay America, Krispy Pizza offers quite a few things. Aside from the obvious, the pizza place offers things like garlic knots, rice balls, and rolls of pepperoni and cheese. Another place is Federici’s, which is praised by the locals for its amazing pizza and chicken parmesan. With a legacy of over 93 years, Federici’s brings a lot to the table as well.

Ending on the note of food, Freehold offers many things, most of which aren’t even on this list! From coffee to shopping to mini golf, the list of things to do goes on and on. With over 7,500 businesses in this town alone, a weekend should never be dull, so go out there and explore Freehold!