Movies to help you “Study” for the APUSH Exam

John Ross, Staff Writer

AP Exams are fast approaching, hitting a lot of students hard in the first week of May. One of the most common AP courses students take at Freehold Township  is APUSH. This AP exam is extra annoying because it covers not only one but two years of American History! It can be really hard to focus and remember over 400 years of historical events, so here’s a few movies that might help you ace the AP exam… or at least help you think you’re studying.

Forrest Gump

This movie has become a classic since its release in 1995. Most often viewers remember the kind and unknowingly ambitious Forrest Gump; however, forget that the profile of his life spans through many major historical events. Forrest fights in the Vietnam war, takes part in 60’s counter culture, and meets important political figures like JFK. Many APUSH classes rush through or do not get to these later years in history by May, so watching might help you understand a little more of the material on the AP exam.

Good Night, and Good Luck

Good Night, and Good Luck profiles the McCarthy and Cold-War era after WWII. Joseph McCarthy begins his campaign to “rule out” communists in the United States, facing opposition from CBS news correspondent Edward R. Murrow. The film chronicles Murrow trying to oust McCarthy for the liar he really is. It does a great job at providing real-life historical facts with a mix of fictional movie magic.

Pearl Harbor

Everyone has seen or heard of this film based on one of the deadliest moments in American History, eventually leading to US entrance into WWII. From the tragedy at Pearl Harbor to showing realistic scenes of soldiers in combat, this film will surely help you understand what happened in World War II.

The Great Gatsby

Who doesn’t love a good Leo movie!? Leonardo DiCaprio captures the essence of partying, ignoring prohibition, and the low moral compass that was common in 1920’s America. Although this movie is entirely fictional, the extravagant displays of wealth and really messed-up characters demonstrates what life would be like in New York during the roaring twenties.  

National Treasure

Nicolas Cage hunts for treasure dating back to Colonial America in this 2004 thriller film. Although Nicolas Cage acting as an American pirate probably won’t give you much insight into what actually went on in the beginning of America, you can always make yourself feel better since the film mentions historical documents like the Declaration of Independence.

Hocus Pocus & Pocahontas

Ok, we all know these movies lack real historical evidence and aren’t something the College Board would deem as “scholarly” (who gave them that right anyway?). But what’s a better way to understand Colonial America than two films based off of Jamestown and the Salem Witch Trials?… Probably opening your textbook. It’s okay though, because these two movies are waaaaay better than anything inside an American Pageant book.

Watching these movies most likely won’t get you a 5 on the APUSH exam. But you can tell yourself you’re studying when in reality, you’re just watching some really good movies. Good luck with studying for all AP exams, and maybe enjoy one of these movies in between!