FTHS Pays it Forward to Open Door

FCCLA donates their homemade cookies to Open Door

Paige Rockhill, Staff Writer

The holiday season is a time for giving, and what better way to do this than by making donations that help people in need. This past December, students of Freehold Township High School involved in Family and Consumer Science classes and/or clubs such as FCCLA and Cookies for a Cause participated in the Open Door donation drive. This event is held by Open Door, a food pantry program that provides services, such as after school homework assistance, that serve community individuals in need. This year, and for the past several years, the community of FTHS has been making and donating baked goods to donate to this organization for their holiday dinner. FTHS sees the importance of improving the community and its students help to pay it forward.

Open Door accepts a variety of baked goods, including gingerbread houses and cookies. I am I member of FCCLA, and as part of the club’s community service initiative, helped bake sugar cookies which were donated. Members of FCCLA, including vice president of state, Heather Paul, got to feel the rewarding feeling of giving to those in need. As Ms. Blair, a teacher of Family and Consumer Science classes as well as adviser of FCCLA informs, “Open Door is always looking for donations for their organization.” Open Door accepts monetary and food donations. Volunteering your time is another way to help. This means that you can benefit at any time from the rewarding feeling of helping others!

If you are interested in serving a good cause, donating to Open Door is highly encouraged. The organization is located at 39 Throckmorton St. in downtown Freehold, and you can also contact them at this number: 732-780-1089. Help make the world a better place today!