Natalie Celano

Natalie Celano is a Freshman student here at FTHS. She was awarded March Student of the Month for her ongoing participation as club founder in Paws for a Cause. This club not only brings students together while enforcing teamwork, it helps out animals in need as the results of every team member’s hard work. Natalie has been a role model to many of her fellow freshman students. Thanks to her constant hard work and dedication to this club, many dogs in need are getting the support they deserve.

Brianna Pacailler: What originally sparked your interest in creating a club at FTHS? 

Natalie Celano: I have always been a very active member of the community, so I saw creating a club as the perfect opportunity to be even more involved at our school. Advocating for those who cannot speak for themselves is something that I feel very passionate about, and so many animals need all the help they can get. I’ve always had dogs at home, so the thought of pets without families is heartbreaking. That’s why I have made it my mission to do as much as I can to support animals in need.

BP: How do you manage time between club activities and school assignments?

NC: Managing time between all of my activities has been a challenge, but I always prioritize my schoolwork. On weekdays after school and sports, I try not to get distracted and finish my homework quickly. Then, on weekends or school nights when I have less homework, I work on club related activities like meeting presentations.

BP: Can you tell us some of the possible events ideas you may use in the future?

NC: We are hosting a dog supplies collection soon for Marty’s Place, a senior dog sanctuary. It is starting in two weeks and boxes will be set up at multiple locations both in school and outside of it. In the distant future when we can do in-person events, my personal favorite idea is a dog wash!

BP: Any advice for future or current students looking to start a club?

NC: My biggest piece of advice for students looking to start a club is to find something you are passionate about. I have always had a love for dogs, community service, and being a leader, so this club was the perfect concept for me. If you feel really strongly about something, turn it into an outlet for other students to express their feelings towards it as well. I also recommend being as organized as you can, because it can get a little frantic when you are planning a fundraiser. But I always try to maintain a positive attitude and have fun!

BP: How does it feel to be student of the month? And what advice can you provide for next year’s freshman students?

NC: I am very honored and appreciative to be awarded student of the month. I couldn’t have done this without my advisor, Mrs. Hein. She has been a huge help throughout the arranging of Paws for a Cause, and so has every single student involved. The best advice that I can give to incoming freshmen is to be part of new activities. This year, I did three sports, two of which I had never done before. Each of them was a great experience, as I made many friends and had so much fun!