September Athletes of the Month: Lundberg and Appow

October 12, 2018

Stephanie Appow, Tennis Ace

What grade are you in?

I am a Senior.

How long have you been playing tennis?

I have been playing for about 6 years.

What position do you play?

I play 3rd singles.

How did you start playing tennis?

I started because my dad has always played and so when my sister and I were thinking about getting into a sport he suggested this and we learned and played together.

Have you played any other positions?

Freshman year I played 1st singles, sophomore year I played 3rd singles, Junior year I played 2nd singles, and this year im playing 3rd singles. So, i’m pretty much experienced in everything.

Do you want to play in college and or, do you know what school you’re attending?

To be honest I do not know the answer to either of those questions, but I may want to continue with tennis in my later years.

Do you play any other sports?

No, I don’t currently do anything aside from tennis and I have actually never done anything different.

Do you play outside of school?

Yes, I do play outside of school and I play with my dad often as well.

Do you like playing in school or outside of school better?

Well, I don’t really compete too much outside of school and I really enjoy having teammates inside of school so. I feel that I get more of a challenge outside of school but I still enjoy playing in school better.

What was the hardest thing to learn about the sport?

Well in my freshman year I dislocated my knee so coming back from that was one of the hardest things I had to do in all of my years playing the sport.

What is your favorite thing about the sport?

I like how tenis is mostly an individual sport and I rely on myself and challenge myself.

What was your greatest achievement in the sport?

My greatest accomplishment would probably be earning the Patriot Award in sophomore and junior year.

What was the greatest moment you had during the season?

My greatest moment was actually this weekend when I made it to the semifinals of the monmouth county tournament.

How do you stay in shape?

I play tennis a lot in season and out of season and I run and go to the gym often. I do little things like that to stay in shape.

Is it hard for you to balance school and tennis?

I have adapted a schedule to be honest, I do most of my studying and big assignets on the weekend while the weekdays are mostly focused on tennis and my matches.

Do you ever think about going pro?

No, no actually I wouldn’t want to go pro.

Do you have any before game superstitions or rituals?

No I don’t really have any superstitions that I do before my matches.

How does the team look for playoffs?

We had our first state game and we did pretty good. As far as the rest of the season goes i think that we have a possibility to win or at least do really good.

How are the season stats so far?

So far as a whole our team we are 13 and 1 and for me I am currently 14 and 0.

SEASON ACCOMPLISHMENTS: 

–Finished the month of September 12-1 (individual record)

–Advanced to the semifinals of the Monmouth County Tournament