The Dance Team is Flipping its Way to the Orange Bowl

From left to right first row: Gianna Cardace, Ashley D’Esposito, Lauren Legregin, Lindsey Lavelle, Morgan Bourke, Izoduwa Igiehon, Sara Cannizzaro, Lauren Lavelle, Karly Varner From left to right second row: Danielle Mella, Cori Fiumara, Alyssa Colatrella, Sam Rommeney, Karina Valentin

Caitlin Checkett, Staff Writer

Freehold Township’s Dance Team will be flying down south to step up this New Year’s Eve for the annual Orange Bowl hosted in Miami, Florida.

The Orange Bowl is a college football game that is played every year at Sun Life Stadium. This year, the game will be duked out between the Mississippi State Bulldogs and the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets.

Crowds assemble from all over the country, not only to watch the game but also to party at the halftime show performed right in the stadium. And this year, students from Freehold Township will be representing the Patriots during the halftime show.

The dance team was selected to perform in Florida after dazzling the audience at a St. John Vianney competition in the area. They were the only school chosen in New Jersey to dance for the occasion.

Led by Coach Tara Mahon and Coach Alanna Wagner, the team consists of uber talented and dedicated dancers. The roster includes Sam Rommeney, Sara Cannizzaro, Karly Varner, Alyssa Colatrella, Ashley D’Esposito, Cori Fiumara, Danielle Mella, Gianna Cardace, Izoduwa Igiehon, Karina Valentin, Lauren Lavelle, Lindsey Lavelle, Lauren Legregin, and Morgan Bourke.

After flying down on December 28th, these hardcore dancers will have to push it to the limit as they attend multiple dance workshops, lessons, and fight clubs (minus the fight clubs). They’ll be instructed and taught the dance by choreographers who will ask them the ultimate question: “So you think you can dance?”

Junior captain Sam Rommeney said, “My goal while down in Miami is to represent Freehold Township in the best way possible. Also, I’m excited to enjoy this once-in-a-lifetime experience with girls and coaches who mean so much to me. I couldn’t ask for better co-captains, teammates, and coaches.”

Tune in to ESPN for the show of the century (it’ll be crazier than Miley Cyrus’s VMA performance) on Wednesday, December 31st at 8:00 PM.