The Best Songs of 2014

Lindsey Golotko, Staff Writer

With 2014 winding down, there are so many different events to reflect on. Between protests, Ebola, and many new breakthrough artists, this year had so much to offer. While some songs were rejected quickly, many were embraced and played on the radio so many times it was hard to keep track.  In the end, there were five songs that really stood out and were loved by all.

1. Shake It Off by Taylor Swift

Taylor Swift performs hit after hit, and her new album 1989 is no different. 1989 is a pop album that is different compared to Swift’s normal country genre. “Shake It Off” consists of not only catchy lyrics, but also a beat that makes anyone want to get up and “shake it off!” In the music video, Swift is portrayed as someone who isn’t the best at anything.  The video is extremely comical and sends a great message. Swift has performed this song at the MTV Video Music Awards and has received many accolades on her performance. This song is blasted at parties, on radio stations, and in most teens’ homes!

Youtube

1. All of Me by John Legend

John Legend’s “All of Me” first became popular after he performed the song at the 2014 Grammy’s. “All of Me” is a love song about a boy who thinks his girlfriend, or someone he loves, is absolutely perfect.  Legend has been nominated for numerous awards with this song, some of which are still pending. This song has been featured in many different countries as a chart topper. In some places, the song is still on the charts.  This song has many remixes, some as popular as the original! John Legend’s voice is extremely soothing, and this song will have anyone swaying to the beat.

Youtube

1. Fancy by Iggy Azalea ft. Charlie XCX

Iggy Azalea’s “Fancy” exploded toward the start of the summer.  Azalea is one of the few female rappers well known in the United States. “Fancy” really seemed to catapult her career. Her recent hits include “Problem” and “Black Widow.”  The music video of “Fancy” is based off of the well-known film “Clueless,” with Azalea portrayed as protagonist Cher. Although this song has upbeat rap sections, many people are able to sing along with it. “Fancy” is epitome of a party song and is loved by mostly teenagers. “Fancy” topped Billboard’s Top 100 sings this year, and it is very well deserved.

Youtube

1. Stay With Me by Sam Smith

Along with Iggy Azalea, Sam Smith had a terrific year in terms of hit songs. Donning new singles such “Latch” and “I’m Not The Only One,” Smith proved he knew how to sing. One of his most well known hits is “Stay With Me.” “Stay With Me” is another love song that emits many emotions and has been well liked by many listeners. It has reached number one on the charts and is played by many radio stations worldwide. Sam Smith performed this song at the MTV Video Music Awards. Sam Smith has really exploded this tear because of his emotional songs and his melodic voice.

Youtube

1. All About That Bass by Meghan Trainor

Without a doubt, “All About That Bass” is a well-loved song. Children, teenagers, and adults all are caught jamming out to this terrific song. The message behind this song is one doesn’t have to be the skinniest person in order to be loved. “All about That Bass” skyrocketed to the top of every chart in the world landing a top ten spot almost anywhere it was played. Meghan Trainor really outdid her self with this song. Trainor’s song seemed to grow popularity over night (it was released June 30, 2014) and was influence for her to write new songs in the past months. There is no doubt about it, Trainor will have new songs coming out in 2015!

Youtube