Top 5: Thanksgiving Traditions

Brittney Ho, Staff Writer

As the end of November rolls around, everyone can find himself or herself preparing to enter their inevitable food comas. With Thanksgiving, comes food, friends, and family. Whether you are planning to celebrate this turkey-day dressed to the nines at a friend’s or in pajamas baking at home, here are the top Thanksgiving essentials to make this holiday a happy one.

The following methods are tried and true from yours truly, a student just like you. You’re welcome in advance.

1.) Sides, Sides, and More Sides

Yes, Thanksgiving should be about the turkey and stuffing, but what really makes a solid meal? The sides, of course! Usually, around Thanksgiving, I find myself indulging in foods that I would not normally consider year-round. Take this time to experiment and try out new recipes! However, here are some personal favorite classics that must happen at the dinner table. Why fix what isn’t broken?

2.) Desserts

I hate to make another bullet about food, but I’m not actually sorry. Thanksgiving desserts are so special and hearty, and are twice as delicious when eaten with family and friends.

• * Chocolate Bark
    bark
    image and recipe courtesy of Martha Stewart

3.) James Bond

In my house, Thanksgiving means movie marathons. Some families do Harry Potter, some do Star Wars, but we love the action-packed, suave adventures of a certain British hero. Every year, without fail, we watch Casino Royale, which is hands-down the best of the films. Check out the trailer for this 2006 film here:

Keep your favorite films as background noise while you cook!

4.) Mafia

icebreaker
image courtesy of icebreaker ideas

Again, Thanksgiving is all about tradition. One of my favorites is the annual drunken family game of “Mafia”. Gather as many family members as possible and play this interactive and creative card game. The cards randomly assign roles to the players: assassin, nurse, detective, and townspeople. In the game, the secret assassin tries to “kill” people before the detective discovers his/her identity. Check out the detailed instructions here: http://icebreakerideas.com/mafia-game/

The game is such a great, fun way to bring together a house full of people, grandparents and toddlers alike!

5.) Company

As cheesy as it sounds, Thanksgiving really is all about spending time with friends and family. We are all busy and stressed, so take full advantage of this holiday with the people you love most. It’s an excuse to stuff yourself with delicious food with the people who matter most.

Take the day off, cook, eat, and play. Without loved ones, Thanksgiving just becomes a sad eating day. All the food tastes even better in between laughs and hugs (if that’s even possible!).

At the end of the day, it doesn’t matter what you eat during the Thanksgiving meal. Give thanks to the ones that matter the most, and let them know! Take advantage of such a fun, family-filled day. Cook, enjoy, and laugh. Happy turkey-day!