Meet Mr. Brusotti, the New FTHS SECA

Mustafa Sheikh, Staff Writer

Mr. Adam Brusotti, former social studies teacher at FTHS, took over the job of SECA (Supervisor of Extra-Curricular Activities) in July.  The Patriot Press sat down with him to see how things are going so far, and to get to know our newest administrator a little better. 

Q: So what’s your favorite part about the new job?
A: Every day brings something new, that’s definitely something that is enjoyable and exciting about the job. With teaching you did get that, but you kind of repeat it every year. This is something unparalleled.

Q: Well you don’t know if you repeat it every year yet, do you?
A:Well, I don’t, but I imagine it’s not as much repetition.

Q: When you joined the school as an employee did you imagine you’d end up in this position or were you hoping for a different one?
A: No, no… up until I applied I didn’t really ever think I’d be in this position. I loved teaching, I really did enjoy it. I went and got my degree a couple years ago, hadn’t really made up my mind on how I was going to utilize it. Like I said, this was just a perfect storm. A job I knew I would enjoy in a school I know I love. Right along the lines of how teaching here was a dream job, this was a dream job.

Q:What do you think you’re going to get out of this job the most?
A: Already you can see, it’s the success that the students have in the extracurricular activities. Whether it be in the athletic side or the club side. Already in september, Forensics had a very successful tournament, up at Yale, I believe. The football team’s off to their best start in the history of the school. To see those dividends paying off with the hard work of the student athletes, that’s really cool. It’s always great as a teacher to see your students succeed, and you had about a hundred twenty opportunities to see that in a given year. Now, in this position, every student athlete, every student participating in a club falls under my umbrella. I got hundreds, if not over a thousand students that I can, in some way, shape, or form, their success. That’s always the rewarding part of being an educator.

Q: Are you going to miss your job teaching?
A: I’m sure there are going to be things that I miss, you know, the personal relationships you form with your students, obviously you’re with your students for 47 minutes a day, 180 days a year… there’s a different type of relationship you get than in this position. I think that’s what I’ll miss the most. I’ll still be able to talk content with the kids as I interact with them or the staff. But you won’t be able, I don’t think, to mirror the one on ones that you had in the classroom.

Q: Do you have any funny stories to tell yet?
A: I’m sure I do, but what’s funny to me may not be funny to you and vice versa.