ICYMI: The Activities Fair

Leah Emmerich, Editor-in-Chief

Every year, FTHS hosts an activities fair that gives all the clubs a chance to showcase what they’re about and why students should join. Wednesday, September 28th, these clubs tried to persuade their peers to expand their membership:

Junior Statesmen of America (JSA): JSA is a national organization with it’s very own chapter in FTHS. The students involved are those that are interested in politics and world relations.

Cookies for a Cause: students in this club bake cookies and donate them to open door to help feed the homeless in the Monmouth county area. In turn, these students earn community service hours for their good deeds.

SGA: Student Government is a club for all the natural born leaders of FTHS. SGA officers and participants make decisions in favor of their classes. This includes choosing a prom venue, dates for big school events, etc.

JDRF: This club raises money for type one diabetes, in order to fund finding a cure and helping people affected with treatment.
Special Strides: Special Strides is an organization that’s goal is to help those affected by disability through bourse riding and therapy. FTHS’s club helps raise money and awareness for this organization through multiple events throughout the school year.

Octagon: Octagon club is an organization designed to help students better their community. The club gives students involved all the information needed to earn community service hours whenever they are available to do so.

Step Team: step team is a dance team with students that have a lot of stamina and rhythm. These performers work hard to synchronize their steps and claps in order to create danceable beats that others enjoy listening to and watching.

SHH: The president of Students Helping Honduras Alex Salkin (junior) says it best: ” We do fundraisers to pay for a school in Honduras, which at the end of the year if you want to take a trip to Honduras, you get to help build. I’ve personally been twice and this year will be my third trip. Last year we completely funded a school by raising over $25,000 in a remote village called El Banano which got its name because it’s in a banana plantation literally hours away from the nearest city- this meant the kids had literally no chance of getting an education. The goal of SHH is to end poverty and gang violence through education and youth empowerment- basically giving kids in Honduras an escape through education because most of them cannot go to school because it’s either too far away, or too dangerous because of the gang violence to get there.”

DECA: DECA is a business orientated club, aimed to help students improve their communication skills in order to succeed. These students learn how to accurately and interestingly present their thoughts and views in a professional manner.

Youth Alive: Youth Alive is a club that creates a group of young leaders against violence. These students help those injured in violence and learn from them how they can help their community by first leading their home and school away from violence.

LIMBS International: This club dedicates their time to raising money and awareness for people in 3rd world countries that are amputees. Losing a limb in another country leads to devastating living circumstances, due to the lack of sustainable prosthetics. The LIMBS organizations aims to help these people get the help and medical treatment that they need in order to live a fulfilling life.

Spanish Honor Society: Spanish Honors Society is exclusively for juniors and seniors that do exceptionally well in their Spanish classroom and deserve recognition for the dedication they make to this language.

Free the Children: Free the Children is an organization that helps raise money and awareness for children living in impoverished countries. They help supply water and other basic goods.

Color Guard: Color Guard performs alongside the bad for their halftime performance at FTHS’s football games. These students use flag twirling techniques in order to put on a interesting show, and showcase their hand/eye coordination skills.

Students Against Destructive Decisions: SADD is a nationwide club with a chapter at FTHS. The students involved advocate for students to say no to drugs and never drive under the influence.

Gender & Sexual Alliance: GSA advocates for students of all genders and sexual orientations to come together and live in harmony with no judgement.

Yearbook: yearbook club designs and sells the yearbook that students buy at the end of each year. The students involved work long hours in order to perfect the book so that the memories of the year are accurately and beautifully captured.

Art Club: This club is one for those with an eye for drawing and design. These students use this club time to showcase their artsy talents such as drawing and painting.

Patriot Press: aka the best club FTHS has to offer. The Patriot Press is the school’s newspaper in which the students involved write articles to share with their peers. These students can also commit to taking pictures of school events to post to the website. The online paper is located at fthspatpress.com

French Club: French Club is a group of students who are interested in the French language and culture. These students explore this complex society by studying French films and playing games that involve using the language.

Girl Up: the members of the Girl Up club are girls and boys alike that learn important leadership skills in order to empower girls in their communities and in impoverished countries in order to break through the glass ceiling.

Lit Alive: Lit Alive is a club dedicated to analyzing literature and poems in order to bring life to them and improve their reading and in turn their writing skills.

Wounded Warrior: The Patriot Warrior club fundraises to help those who have served in the US Military.

FCCLA: Family, Career, and Community Leaders of America is a club exclusively for students in consumer science classes that learn and discuss issues that effect families, communities, and society.

Red Cross Club: Red Cross club attempts to persuade their peers to donate blood for those in need. Through fundraisers, they also save money and collect goods to help those effected by natural disasters.

Patriot Players: Patriot Players is FTHS’s drama club. They recruit students with extraordinary acting and singing skills. Also, other students help with set, audio, and lighting. They preform one play in the fall and a musical in the spring.

Forensics: the Forensics club travels to compete at different high schools and colleges in events that test their debating and spoken word ability.

Fit Club: Fit Club is a group of students dedicated to working out and staying in shape. They encourage other students to live a healthy fulfilling life style just as they are.

TSA: “The Technology Student Association fosters personal growth, leadership, and opportunities in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM); members apply and integrate these concepts through co-curricular activities, competitions, and related programs”(tsaweb.com).

Vet Cadets: Vet Cadets help educate students who would like to be veterinarians in the future, while also helping animals in need.

Outdoor Rec Club: outdoor rec club is dedicated to enjoying all that nature has to offer and utilizing it for deep appreciation.

Dance Team: Dance Team is a group of students who are talented and dedicated dancers. They practice to learn combinations that they preform at competitions and the FTHS basketball game’s halftimes.

Glamour Gals: This club meets at a local senior citizen home to give make overs to the elderly women there. This helps boost these ladies self confidence and takes their mind off of their current living situations.

HRC: “The Human Rights Campaign represents a force of more than 1.5 million members and supporters nationwide. As the largest national lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer civil rights organization, HRC envisions a world where LGBTQ people are ensured of their basic equal rights, and can be open, honest and safe at home, at work and in the community. (hrc.org).