Mara Manzar Leads the New LFD Students

Lauren Lavelle, Editor-in-Chief

Back Row, from the leftt: Matt Crowley, Ms. Jordan, Matt Couin, Justin Golub, Danny Saunders, Peter Nielson, Ms. Michaels, and Mr. Migliori; Front Row, from left:  Sophia Blanc, Briana Nemet, Mara Manzar, Vanessa Varlack, Katie Bacci
Back Row, from the leftt: Matt Crowley, Ms. Jordan, Matt Gouin, Justin Golub, Danny Saunders, Peter Nielson, Ms. Michaels, and Mr. Migliori; Front Row, from left: Sophia Blanc, Briana Nemet, Mara Manzar, Vanessa Varlack, and Katie Bacci

“The people in LFD are some of the most amazing people you will ever meet,” stated Mara Manzar, one of the 12 newly appointed members of Lead For Diversity (LFD). A prestigious nomination-only club, LFD requires each member to attend a week-long summer camp hosted by the American Conference on Diversity.

While there, gender roles, stereotyping, and racism are just a few of the topics greatly emphasized throughout the week. Each group sets specific goals for the school year and is responsible for creating an Action Plan to bring back to Freehold Township.

“It’s all about going out of your boundaries to try something new in different ways,” said Manzar of this year’s Action Plan.  “We’re planning a couple of school wide things that are still very much in the beginning stages.” Previous Action Plans have included Peer Leadership, the Breakfast Club, and SLIPS (Stop Saying Little Inappropriate Phrases).

Along with this, LFD students all have two common goals: to make students feel safe and secure along with making the school a welcoming environment. They serve as positive role models for both under and upper classmen alike, constantly striving for uniqueness and equality.

“You’re always promoting the idea of acceptance and individuality,” stated Manzar. “Being yourself and allowing that self to come through in everything you do without letting others bring you down.”

Students who wish to be a part of LFD must go through a rigorous process which includes a teacher nomination, applications, and a detailed interview. Advisors Mrs. Jordan and Mrs. Micheals look for responsible students willing to go above and beyond for the well-being of the student body. They must display kindness and compassion not only for school related topics but for everyday situations as well.

Mara’s advice for aspiring LFD students is to “Be yourself and encourage others to be themselves. Don’t judge someone because of their differences.”

LFD members are some of the most inspiring and dedicated students to ever grace the hallways of Freehold Township. They continue to spread their positivity and set incredible examples for future students on a daily basis. When asked if there are any goals or objectives for this year, Mara said, “Our theme this year is, ‘There’s more to me than what you see’ because there’s more to people than what is on the surface of their skin.”

Good luck to the new members of LFD; they will surely make this year a great one!