Junior Brooke Salamone Nominated for Basie Award

Leah Emmerich, Editor

Brooke Salamone dressed in character during "You Can't Take It With You"
Brooke Salamone dressed in character during “You Can’t Take It With You”

After a stunning performance in “You Can’t Take It With You,” the school’s fall play, Junior Brooke Salamone has been nominated for a Basie Award in the category Best Supporting Actress.

Brooke has been involved in every production that the Patriot Players have presented since her freshman year, and all her hard work is paying off.

She expressed her immense gratitude by saying, “It’s a complete honor to be nominated for the award. When I found about it I almost burst into tears of excitement. I’m so grateful for the experience and couldn’t have done it without the support of the cast, crew, and production staff.”

The Basie Awards are being held Wednesday, May 18th at the Count Basie theater in Red Bank. This award show is held to commend high school students of Monmouth and Ocean County on their superb acting skills. Other categories that high school drama clubs are eligible to win are Best Lead Actor, Best Set, etc. 

Salamone is no stranger to the Basie Awards; she was nominated back in 2014 for an understudy role in the school’s spring musical.

Her family was extremely proud of her achievement yet again. “My family was very excited. My dad treated me to ice cream after we found out and my grandma screamed so loud on the phone I think she blew my ear drum out.”

Needless to say, she is thrilled to be making her family proud by returning to the Count Basie stage to preform and be recognized once again.