Coins for Kids Raises Big Bucks for Centra State Patients

Ariana Ramos, Editor

FTHS gives back yet again!

The Coins for Kids Fundraiser was a success this year thanks to the collaborative efforts of Physical Education teacher Mr. Gualtieri and the Peer Leadership Kids.

Beginning the second week of January and ending just before spring break, students were asked to donate spare change during their lunch periods by Peer Leaders who wheeled around a cart and collected the change in empty coffee cans. The money was gathered each day and deposited weekly by Mr. Gualtieri. Students were not the only ones donating their change, though — teachers were also kind enough to contribute to the cause.

All of this spare change went towards the purchase of “comfort toys” to give to kids in the pediatric wing of Centra State Hospital. These toys are also known as “Get Wellephants”–adorable pink and blue stuffed elephants dressed as nurses and doctors. The Peer Leaders even have intentions to hand deliver these toys to kids at the hospital later in the year.

Mr. Gualtieri enthusiastically explains his reasoning for getting involved with and taking charge of the fundraiser: “I got involved simply because I wanted to do something for sick kids, and I envisioned being able to give them something that would put a smile on their face. It bothers me to see kids who are disabled or ill. And it’s one reason why I get mad if kids don’t give effort in Phys. Ed. If those kids lived their lives in a wheelchair, they’d appreciate what they have a lot more.”

Although this is only Township’s second year taking part in the fundraiser, we have already seen an increase in the funds. Last year, a total of $1,105 was raised. This year, the total was surpassed by over two-hundred dollars. On April 14th, a Centra State representative gratefully came to the school to receive the $1,307.59 check from a proud FTHS team.

Mr. Gualtieri is grateful for those who participated. FTHS expects to see more success from the Coins for Kids fundraiser  in the years to come!