A Guide to First Date Ideas

Leah Emmerich, Editor-in-Chief

High school may seem like the best time for young love, but it’s also the most awkward. Especially now-a-days with social media consuming our everyday lives, it’s hard to figure out if something you have with someone is real. Getting past the “talking” stage with your person of interest may be hard and nerve-racking, but going out on an official date may spark a little somethin’ somethin’. There are thousands of options for a first date, but here may be some of the best:

• Jenkinson’s/ Seaside/ beach — The Jersey Shore is so beautiful and such a great place to spend with your crush. Jekinsons and Seaside are such fun places to spend time especially during the warmer months. Plus, boardwalk food is delicious and you won’t be trapped in just one menu. Play in the sand, win a stuffed bear, do a round of mini golf, it’s all in good fun. 
  • Cheesecake Factory — For a more local option, the Cheesecake Factory has amazing food (and really good bread). The atmosphere might not be very romantic on a crowded Saturday night, but the vibe is totally different during the week. A great thing about going to any restaurant really on a first date is getting to know your crush by how they treat the waiter / waitress. (This is a major key to success you’re all welcome).
  • Amazing Escape Room — Really want to get to know the person you’re on a date with? Get locked in a room with them for an hour! If you can’t stand them afterwards, you definitely won’t be able to stand them for a long term relationship. 
  • Get Air/ iPlay — Who said it was wrong to act like a kid again? Jump around, play some whack-a-mole, have fun. Why would you want to date someone you couldn’t let loose and have fun with? The “you might get sweaty and gross” excuse is so old. Embrace it, chances are that if you’re on a date with the right person they won’t care. 
  • Picnic — Make a couple sandwiches, grab an apple or two, and get your butt over to a park or beach somewhere. Get to know the person you are interested in by sitting in the fresh air and talking to them face to face. You can do it. Take an Instagram and caption it “the date idea seemed cute but he/she was cuter.” Second date guaranteed. #Success. 
  • Mr. DiGiuseppe’s classroom — Apparently a lot of couples have met courtesy of DiGiuseppe, but hold off on this one until further proof is provided. [ADVISORS’S NOTE: It’s 100% true.  My class has brought together more couples than match.com.  This summer, I’m even going to the wedding of a couple that met in my class in 2003.)
  • Barnes and Noble/Starbucks + interesting books + intelligent literary conversation = amazing first date. Don’t be afraid to show off your nerdy side. Chances are it’s really adorable. Chicks dig it. Books are expensive now-a-days, so save up some money and buy a cutie a political satire novel. 
  • NOT THE MOVIE THEATERS — Stop being such a skeev. Asking somebody on a first date to the movies is an absolute joke. How are you going to get to know somebody by sitting next to them and not saying anything at all?
  • IHOP — “Never love anybody who treats breakfast like it’s ordinary.” -The marketing team at IHOP giving everyone great life advice via Twitter. Taking someone to IHOP may wind up being the best decision ever. Breakfast at all times of the day. Yes, please.  
  • Ice / roller skating — This is especially cute if you play hockey or have been in roller dancing competitions for some reason (which are really cool??? Look them up). Teaching someone to skate is so adorable and so romantic in a very Nicholas Sparks-sappy way. It seems cheesy, but who cares? Young love is cheesy.                                               

And of course because we are all awkward teenagers incapable of normal human interaction without anxiety, all these places are perfect for your friends to tag along for a group date. Now get out there and ask that cutie in your math class if they want to go to IHOP. It never hurts to try.