Step Team Dances Their Way to FTHS Pride

Lindsey Golotko, Editor

“Go Pats” can be heard echoing the gym walls at almost every basketball game, and the melodic rhythm of clapping and stomping that follows mesmerizes the crowd. These performances are put on by none other than the FTHS Step Team.

“Step” is a form of dancing in which stomping, clapping, and hitting different parts of one’s body is used to create a beat. Sometimes, vocals are used to enhance the performance that is being done. “Step” requires a sense of rhythm and differs from the traditional forms of dance. At Freehold Township, the students on the Step Team create the dances and are extremely successful in making them entertaining and original.

The Step Team performs at Boy’s and Girl’s Varsity Basketball games and the poetry festival in May. So far, there have been two major routines that have truly stood out in the performers mind. Captain, Vanessa Varlack, says, “I think the CBA game was our best performance because it was our first performance of the year and we really worked hard. I think we absolutely killed it and the amount of compliments I got afterward was ridiculous. I put the routine together and took everyone’s ideas and steps to make it the best it can be.” Another great performance was at the Spit Fire poetry festival last year.

Ludvinne Bazile states, “So far our most successful performance has to be our performance at the Poetry Festival last year because that is when the team began to get praise and recognition.”  (see video below) [wpdevart_youtube]QjJYLr8YXqg[/wpdevart_youtube]

The Step Team advisors include Mrs. Jordan and Ms. Leuci. These two advisors help the team with all of their endeavors, including the tryout procedure. In order to joining Step one must audition.  Kayla McGloster, a sophomore, says the process is not anything to really stress about. McGloster states, “If you’re looking to join Step Team my advice would be to not be scared of trying out. Everyone is very friendly and compatible. You can join Step Team by trying out towards the beginning of the year. There aren’t really requirements for trying out, we just ask that you bring your all and only try out if you want to be apart of the team.”

The Step team is really looking for dedication and heart. They want to accept people who are willing to work hard and learn the dances as quickly as possible. Varlack says, in regards to what actually occurs at tryouts, “During tryouts we teach them one routine, usually something simple; then they can go home and practice and the next day they try out in groups of threes in front of the captains and the advisors.”

The Step Team hopes to branch out one day and even join competitions, and of course win them all. Each time the team performs, they become more and more successful, confident, and talked about. Varlack wants everyone to know that the Step team “[has] come a long way…I’m so proud of myself and my team of how far we have come. It’s only up from here!” [wpdevart_youtube]vsqtKekSDO4[/wpdevart_youtube]

Make sure to check out the Step Team at their next performance, it won’t be one you want to miss!