High School Musical 10th Anniversary

Deryn Younger, Staff Writer

What team?  Wildcats!

This is the start of something new!  10 years after High School Musical first aired on January 20, 2006, the cast comes back together for a reunion.

Today marks the 10-year anniversary of when the first High School Musical movie aired in 2006 on Disney Channel.  I think we all remember the famous quotes and scenes from all three movies – especially the first one.  Whether we wanted to sing our hearts out like Troy and Gabriella, or longed to be as popular as Sharpay and Ryan, the “High School Musical” trilogy impacted all of our childhoods.  This is still true as we all came to realize that high school isn’t anything like how it is portrayed in the films… no singing on cafeteria tables!

On Good Morning America today, almost all of the original cast is present for an interview marking the 10-year milestone.  Vanessa Hudgens (Gabriella Montez), Ashley Tisdale (Sharpay Evans), Monique Coleman (Taylor McKessie), Corbin Bleu (Chad Danforth), and Lucas Grabeel (Ryan Evans) all gathered together to reminisce on their past.  However, you may notice that one rather important character is missing from the list: Zac Efron.

Zac Efron, who played the high school heartthrob (and main character) Troy Bolton, is not going to be on the interview this morning.  Nobody can really confirm why he chose not to come on the show, but he did make an effort to be there.  Zac submitted a taped message for the eager fans watching that said: “This is only 10 years — let’s have a billion more! I love you guys!”  Does it stink that he couldn’t be there?  Absolutely, but he’s in plenty more movies that all win over our hearts just like “High School Musical” did.

In the end, it’s clear that there will most likely not be a new movie or special for their reunion.  High School Musical has impacted all of its fans – fans that all remember what school they wanted to attend: East High School, of course!  We’re all in this together as we gather today to watch the cast of one of the greatest movies of our childhood meet up once again after 10 years of silence.

What are you doing?  Get’cha head in the game and watch the interview here on Good Morning America!

[wpdevart_youtube]Jynx3XGHWuA[/wpdevart_youtube]