EDITORIAL: Senioritis Should be Embraced, Not Ignored

Lauren Lavelle

Senior Amy Davison suffers through a mid-day bought of senioritis.

Emily Bracher, Editor

Senioritis.

A word teachers around the world dread to hear whispered throughout their classrooms. How can one define this ten-letter word be kryptonite to our very own teachers?

Is it merely “a lack of drive or motivation to do work,” as senior Aaron Rotem would define it? Or is it an excuse for all seniors to put off work as the weather gets warmer and the days get numbered?

Let’s be honest: senoritis is a crippling disease that strikes all high school seniors, especially once Spring Break hits. Graduation is around the corner, the hype for summer is getting higher, and all of a sudden students get mentally hit with a wall — a wall of laziness and a pair of sweatpants and a matching t-shirt.

Senoritis encompasses all of the best qualities a high school student has to offer: repeated absences, dismissive attitudes, lack of studying and the occasional mouthing off to teachers.

But what is the cure for this epidemic?

The only known solution would be graduation. Once summer hits, students worry levels decrease and their happiness drastically rises. The sun is shining, the music is blasting, the beaches are packed and the days feel endless.

Senioritis cannot be prevented. It’s a feeling that is bound to happen towards the end of a student’s high school experience. Instead of fighting it, senoritis should be welcomed.