Modern Family Review

Christina Ross, Staff Writer

You’ve probably heard of Modern Family. They have gone on for six seasons and have won many awards since season one. The show is about Jay Pritchett and his second wife Gloria, with her son Manny. Then it’s Claire Dunphy and her husband Phil, and they have three children together, Hailey, Alex, and Luke. And finally there is Mitchell who has a male partner, Cameron, and they have a daughter named Lilly. The show is about this whole family living in Las Angeles California and their lives. It is very comical, and I guarantee you will fall in love with the show the first episode you watch. Modern Family can be found on Wednesdays at 9:00 an ABC (Channel 7).

Jay Pritchett: Jay is the patriarch of the family. He is Manny’s stepfather and Joes biological father whom he had with Gloria, his much younger wife. Jay is often mistaken to be Gloria’s father because of the age difference. His wife Gloria is very Columbian and although he seems like he hates all the traditions that Gloria insists on doing he actually is a softy on the inside. He is also the father of Claire and Mitchell who have their own families also.

Gloria: Gloria is a very loud outspoken Columbian woman who loves to socialize and is often frowned upon by her family (Claire) because of the way she dresses. She is very proud of who she is and why shouldn’t she be, she is one of my favorite characters. Gloria also has a very thick accent and sometimes says something and people think another. There was actually an entire episode on it.

Manny: Manny is Gloria’s son and Jay’s stepson. He is very different than all the other kids, and is actually thought of as being born 16. He drinks several cups of coffee a day and he was only about 10 when the show began. He is very smart also and is set to do great things on the show and off.

Claire Dunphy: Claire is the mother of Hailey, Alex, and Luke and is also the wife of Phil Dunphy. She is the glue that keeps the family together because her husband acts like a child, as you can see in the very first episode. She can be very uptight at times but she can definitely let loose once in a while when she isn’t trying to fix everyone’s problems.

Phil Dunphy: Phil is the “cool dad,” he is always joking with the kids (Hailey, Alex, Luke) and trying to be their best friend. Although he usually is always playing games he is also known to come up with inventions, that Claire never supports him on because she thinks they are useless. For example the Head scratcher TM was a classic invention of Phil’s, where the helmet sits on your head and massages your scull. Unfortunately this invention doesn’t go anywhere along with many others.

Hailey Dunphy: Hailey is very pretty but her looks do not match her academics. She was very lucky to be waitlisted into one college and eventually made it into. Unfortunately six weeks after she moved into college she got in trouble with the law and was kicked out of the only college she was accepted into. Now she is 21 and living in her parent’s basement. We’ll see what happens for her next.

Luke Dunphy: Luke is in High School now and is not the smartest Dunphy compared to his sister Alex. He is a lot like his dad and try’s to do what everyone thinks is impossible. He makes his mom and most people around him ask why, when he asks why not? Luke is one of my favorite characters.

Alex Dunphy: Alex is super smart and the smartest in her family. She always seems to be one step ahead of her family and it shows through out the show. Even from the beginning she has been an over achiever. Now she is waiting for college letters and so far has not gotten into Harvard, the school she most wanted to get into. We will see how high she has achieved very soon!

Lilly Pritchett-tucker: Lilly has been in the show since the beginning she is 7 years old and super cute. She is basically running her family half the time and seems to love having two dads most of the time. I think that Cameron is more of a mother figure since he stayed home with Lilly since she was a baby, and that Mitchell is more of a dad because he’s harder on Lilly like a father would be to a daughter.

Cameron Tucker: Cameron is from Missouri and is married to Mitchell. He has a daughter, Lilly whom he loves dearly. He is also a High School Football coach and has taken his team to victory. He loves what he does, and being a father. He can also be very sensitive so his family has to dance around conversations around him sometimes.

Mitchel Pritchett: Mitchell is married to Cameron and has a daughter with him whose name is Lilly. He works at a law firm as an environmental lawyer. His father Jay is usually very hard on him because he is not a fan of lawyers, but deep down you know that Jay loves his son and supports what he does. Mitchell keeps his family together and if he didn’t it would have fallen apart a long time ago. Yes, he can be uptight, but that’s what makes him Mitchell.

I hope that you watch the show Modern Family and enjoy it as much as I do. You can watch it weekly on ABC at 9:00 on Wednesdays.