John’s Top Netflix Recommendations

John Ross, Staff Writer

Lately, people have been turning off their giant flat screen TV’s and trading them in for a monthly subscription to Netflix. This may seem strange to some people, but Netflix offers something televisions do not: seasons of TV shows that are always there for you to watch.

In the past few months, my life has been consumed by Netflix shows and series and also movies that I can’t seem to stop watching. If you have a subscription to this service, you probably understand this feeling. Since just about everyone is logging on and searching for a good show to watch, here are my recommendations for the best series on Netflix.

The Walking Dead: Before I go on about how crazy this show is, I must warn you it is also crazily graphic. If you aren’t into gory scenes and have a weak stomach, this show might not be for you. If you that doesn’t bother you, however, definitely add this series to your list. The plot is about a group of people trying to survive in a post-apocalyptic world that has people getting a strange disease causing them to transform into zombies that feed on people.  Just about every episode is intense and keeps your heart beating fast, but the show also contains heartfelt backstories of its characters and their lives before the chaos. I would recommend this show for people who enjoy sci-fi, drama, and action all mixed into one.

Parks and Recreation: Parks and Recreation has to be one of the funniest and most relatable shows on Netflix. It follows the Parks and Recreation Department of Pawnee, Indiana, a small city in the middle of nowhere. The wild members of the department include the driven Leslie Knope (played by Amy Poehler), a rude and lazy assistant, an overweight father who cant do anything right, and many other characters. This show is set up like a reality show, much like Modern Family and others, but it is scripted. Parks and Rec is perfect for people who like dry humor and shows about regular people in society.

Netflix has Movies As well: Besides having a large variety of TV shows to choose from, Netflix also has hundreds of well-known and small movies to choose from. Some of my personal well-known movie favorites that I’ve discovered on Netflix include The Breakfast Club; Scream; and The Hunger Games: Catching Fire.

The Breakfast Club is about a group of high school students in the 1980’s (don’t worry, they don’t act like your parents) who all attend Saturday detention together. Despite all being opposites, they form an unlikely bond.

Scream is a 1996 horror film about a group of teenagers being tormented by a murderer, calling their phones and slowly killing everyone they know. This is personally my favorite movie, and I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys movies about teenagers and horror films.

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire is a well-known movie to kids today, being the 2nd film in the Hunger Games trilogy. With the 3rd movie coming out at the end of the month (The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1), I would advise fans of the books and movies to watch this title to refresh them on where we left off last with the main character, Katniss.

Netflix is an awesome tool for a boring Saturday night or something fun to do with friends. All of the series and movies that I recommended are included in the subscription fee, and would definitely be worth your time to take a look. If you do take the time to view any of these titles, comment down below and let me know what you thought! Happy watching!